redwings9

Kimber conversion kit

Finally decided to get a conversion kit for my mil spec rather then wait on permit to obtain a dedicated 1911 22 LR, after assembling and firing 500 rounds of remington bulk box I can attest that the one I rec'd was nothing short of great. Only two malfunctions thru the whole 510 rds (10 CCI and then I wanted to see if it would be reliable with bulk ammo) 1 failure at about round count 300 was a failure to go totally into battery and the last at about round 425 was a failure to extract spent round and malfunctioned as the slide moved forward to pick up another round, both malfunctions easily cleared and except for the lack of the ability to lock back on the last round this conversation kit is an A+++.

if anyone is on the fence about them great kit.

I have a conversion kit for my Beretta 92. I think that most of the failures start at around the 300 mark because of all the gunk that builds up from the .22 casings. But its usually good to go again after a quick field strip and clean.

You just have to be careful doing it at the range. I had the guide rod spring pop out during disassembly and and fly 25 feet downrange. Embarrassing to say the least.

I have the kimber conversion on my gold match II and couldnt be happier.

Only issue I had was over the weekend shooting steel, outdoor, with a mix of "bottom of my range bag" ammo. Some of the CCI rounds would not chamber right, like there was some kind of wax on them or something. The thunderbolt worked 99%, and the golden bullets 100%

Overall very pleased with this conversion kit.

Also agree with you on the slide lock - wish it would lock after that last round

MCB amen had the same thing happen many years ago.... lets just say it was a GI issue weapon, out in the jungle and thank god I had my GAU5 as after that fiasco I had a single shot 45 :) until I got back to base camp, after that I learned two things, always have spare parts and never ever break a weapon down in the field unless 1 it will not operate or 2 you are inside the wire..... live and learn :)

JV I have also experienced many CCI rounds that seemed to have gunned up with a waxy susbstance seems like it was always rounds I have left around for a few years?????? Take care and have fun.

I have a Kimber conversion for my TLE RL II and I agree it's awesome. Very accurate and it actually does break

in a bit and becomes a little more reliable. At first Remington hollow points were not working well at all, but after

a few bricks of the good stuff I fired 200 rounds last night of the Remington and had about 4-5 malfuctions so

it's gotten a lot better.

zoid sounds good, Like that you can train without the cost of the45 acp rounds, even with reloading as much as I shoot it gets real expensive, for about 20 bucks you can pretty much shoot all morning. tTake care.

I actually think the conversion is better in the sense that you have an all steel frame. Most

dedicated 1911 22s have alloy frames. It's more than sufficient, but I love the all steel feel.

And yes like you said it is the exact same trigger as when you shoot 45ACP.

Interesting ammo input. I have the Kimber conversion on my Springfirld GI. It eats CCI Mini-Mag for breakfast but really chokes badly on Remington bulk stuff. I haven't tried any other brands that I recall.

Daedalus, I was surprised after everything I read that seemed to indicate nothing but issues except with cci or similar better quality round. Possibly I lucked out but I had no issues with the remington bulk rounds and never did finish the CCI I had taken long for use in the kit.