zoid

How often do you clean your guns and do you enjoy doing it?

Gun Cleaning Survey  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you clean your guns?

• </= 250 rounds.
    • </= 500 rounds.
    • </= 1000 rounds.
    • > 1000 rounds.
  2. 2. How much do you enjoy cleaning your guns?

• Borderline OCD.
    • I enjoy maintaining them.
    • Don't really mind. I'm neutral.
    • Only do it cause I have to.

I clean them almost every range trip. The guns that don't get shot often still get cleaned at least once a year. I have some Arisaka's that have been cleaned half a dozen times but have not seen a round down the barrel.

I clean them after every time I shoot them as soon as get back. The only exception is if I don't have time too, at which point I clean them as soon as able. I enjoy doing so. It probably isn't necessary, but it doesn't bother me. I can sit down and watch TV and drink some beer while doing so.

I can't stand cleaning my guns, so I let them run as long as they can without being cleaned.

It's not exactly that I can't stand it. I view it more as a necessary evil. An interesting poll would be to see how long people spend cleaning their guns. I typically have my Glocks apart, cleaned, and back together in less than 10 minutes. I was at an NRA Basic Pistol class where one of the instructors told us he takes about an hour to clean a gun, and then proceeded to show us the entire process. It was like he was making love to his gun. :wub:

It's not exactly that I can't stand it. I view it more as a necessary evil. An interesting poll would be to see how long people spend cleaning their guns. I typically have my Glocks apart, cleaned, and back together in less than 10 minutes. I was at an NRA Basic Pistol class where one of the instructors told us he takes about an hour to clean a gun, and then proceeded to show us the entire process. It was like he was making love to his gun. :wub:

Yeah this is true. You have to define cleaning. Honestly sometimes all I do is field strip, take a paper towel

with some cleaner and wipe down the rails and feed ramp. Boresnake a couple times. Couple drops of oil

and put it back together. Takes 5 minutes.

I clean the majority of my shooters around 500-1000 rounds. I see no real benefit to clean so frequently but do keep my guns properly lubed. When I do get around to cleaning it takes me longer then most as I am ocd and am meticulous.

I run all my guns wet (with oil/lube) and have no problems. When they become so filthy that my hands become dirty just shooting and handling them, then I consider cleaning them.

To each their own & all that, but I'm surprised how many actually seem to enjoy the cleanings. I sometimes enjoy it when I first get a firearm, but after than it really just become a necessary evil and I really only do a thorough barrel cleaning with my AR that I often shoot with accuracy in mind. I pretty much refuse to clean my shotgun outside of an external wipedown at this point, because it's a pain to take appart & reassemble and I never really find all that much gunk, so it always feels sort of uneccesary.