RLTW

300 Blackout

outside of the cost of ammo the 300 Blackout has a lot of advantages and technically only requires a barrel change. Anyone see a NJ legal issue with this upper?

http://www.aimsurplu...FFT&groupid=150

Here is a good overview of it:

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Well, 300 blackout is basicaly 300 whisper. I've gotten to play with one and try to diagnose all the issues it had back before it was a SAAMI cartridge in either flavor.

It's a pretty meh cartridge. It was designed to do two things, and it can do them. If you don't have a use for those things, expecting it to be something else will be more than frustrating.

1) If you load it mildly, it can launch a .30 cal projectile subsonically with a trajectory that allows you to hit something out to 200 yards with reasonable terminal ballistics on an unarmored human target. So if you have a supressor, it's a dandy way to show it off with some expensive ammo.

2) If you load it hotter, it can slightly outperform a .30-30 for hunting. Mainly because you can use superior bullets (outside their optimal velocity range), on a inherently more accurate platform that is likely heavier than your .30-30 lever gun and way more expensive.

When you start tyring to push it beyond that, you often start popping primers out of the brass and killing your brass farily quickly. When loaded to do 1 or 2 above, it is a pretty mellow feeling round that's not bad to plink with all day. Well except for the price of ammo.

If you want an upper that is legal to take deer wiht in states that permit rifle, it's not a bad idea. If you are looking for something longer range or more accurate than .223... look elsewhere.

• Like 1

outside of the cost of ammo the 300 Blackout has a lot of advantages and technically only requires a barrel change. Anyone see a NJ legal issue with this upper?

http://www.aimsurplu...FFT&groupid=150

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I have a custom AR build with that 16 inch CMMG blackout barrel, and I'm very happy with it. I've put nearly 500 rounds of CMMG and Remington supersonics through it with no failures or malfunctions at all. There's no legal issues with it as long as you have the flash hider removed and replaced with a thread protector or muzzle brake. Either one needs to be pinned to make it compliant.

There are companies that are making affordable 12.99 and 12.49 ammo. Remington is one of them, and it's sold on Midway right now. PNW is another one. I think that in the near future Cheaper Than Dirt will be selling the Remington UMC 300 blk ammo for cheaper than 12.99 (just a theory)

http://www.midwayusa...acket-box-of-20

http://www.pnwarms.c...px?productId=61

According to rsilvers on www.300blktalk.com there's a lot of new products and companies that will join in on backing up this caliber. Cheaper alternatives are out there too. For example, DS Arms is selling a $320 upper.

http://www.dsarms.co...fo/DSZM4CBU300/

I am looking for something that will take my AR and give it a little bit more power up to that 400-500 yard area as an alternative to having a AR-10 type platform. Changing an upper and using the same lower & Magazines is much more cost effective than purchasing an entire rifle.

I am looking for something that will take my AR and give it a little bit more power up to that 400-500 yard area as an alternative to having a AR-10 type platform. Changing an upper and using the same lower & Magazines is much more cost effective than purchasing an entire rifle.

I personally have not tried it beyond 200 yards. I have heard of people on www.m4carbine.net attempting beyond 200 with Hornady VMAX ammo. Realistically, I think blk is useful only up to 200 or even 300 (if you know what you are doing, but I think that is pushing it)

If 400-500 yards is important to you, I honestly do not think you will be happy with 300 BLK.

Changing an upper and using the same lower & Magazines is much more cost effective than purchasing an entire rifle.

If this is the most important feature to you (honestly, this is what sold me) then BLK is for you.

I personally have not tried it beyond 200 yards. I have heard of people on www.m4carbine.net attempting beyond 200 with Hornady VMAX ammo. Realistically, I think blk is useful only up to 200 or even 300 (if you know what you are doing, but I think that is pushing it)

If 400-500 yards is important to you, I honestly do not think you will be happy with 300 BLK.

If this is the most important feature to you (honestly, this is what sold me) then BLK is for you.

Thanks for the feedback. I will weight the options. I appreciate the honesty Joshua & Raz

How about reaming out a 7.62x39 chamber with a 6mm PPC reamer and fire forming BRASS cased ammo. This will allow the formed cases to freed reliably from regular AR type magzines (After you reload them of course). I'm thinking in a SHTF situation, you may even be able to fire standard steel 7.62x39 ammo in the reamed barrel in relative safety.

That's exactly one of the purposes you shouldn't buy it for. It is a heavy bullet moving slow and has a lot of drop.

What about 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel?

for how much the round costs if your not going to suppress it in the future i would probably just go w the AR10 short run itl be more but in the long run im sure that ammo is going to add up

Supersonic ammo from all the 300BLK ammunition manufacturers reliably works 100% without a suppressor. On my barrel I only have a pinned thread protector on it, and it works perfectly. Again, you do not need a suppressor on a 300BLK AR rifle with carbine length gas.

Also, there is affordable ammo out there offered by Remington for 12.99 and PNW for 12.49. Anyone can probably find cheaper deals buying it in bulk online. When Cheaper Than Dirt starts offering the Remington UMC and PNW ammo, they will probably sell them lower than $12. In the near future, there will probably be more ammunition manufacturers that will sell affordable ammo for range use.

List of manufacturers can be found in the link below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_BLK

Robert Silvers runs www.300blktalk.com and keeps people up to date with all the latest new offerings for the caliber. New product information on that forum keeps on coming and doesn't seem like it's slowing down at all, especially because of Shot Show 2012.