lionelfan

NJ Gunsmith Recommendations.....

I recently purchased a S&W 1911E. I originally wanted the S&W 1911 that comes with a rear target sight, but none were available from the various sources I tried.

Instead, I opted for a 1911E that I found at Bud's Gun shop. While I'm waiting for my purchase permit to arrive, I've decided to change out the rear site on the 1911E for a target sight. A few emails and a call to S&W got me the info that S&W has a target sight that will work. One is on its way as I write this post.

I'm looking for a gunsmith recommendation in the central Jersey area who does quality work to remove the factory sight and install the new one. I don't know if the width of the dovetail dimensions for the sights are the same at this stage, so some machining may be required.

Anyone have some good recommendations?

Anyone have some good recommendations?

John Robinson at Classic Pistol in PA. If you are installing a true target sight, it will take more than just fitting the dovetail. The rear of the slide, aft of the current dovetail, will need to be milled flat so the sight can be properly low-mounted. If you are talking about an adjustable tactical sight (wedge look, like what is on it now, but adjustable for W&E) then it's no big deal.

If you decide to use him, when you drop the pistol off at CP, you can also stop at my friend's Lionel store by the Mercer County Airport (Glen Rock Shopping Ctr).

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I checked out CP's website and could not find much info about gunsmithing. Besides sight installation, would you recommend or trust John Robinson to install a Harrisson or Berryhill ignition set and or fit a new thumb safety on a 1911?