keithco88

Quad mag pouch

I'm just thinking about getting into USPSA/IDPA and researching mag pouches. From everything I've heard (lots from ppl here so thanks for the help!) is that I'll probably need to run 4-6 mags in these competitions. I've also heard/read that there's some restrictions as to where on your belt the mags can be located. Given that I have ZERO experience reloading from a holster I'm pretty much open to anything, with the understanding that training/practice can make pretty much anything work.

Anyway, I've found two setups that seem to give a staggered layout of four mags in the belt real-estate that a regular double mag pouch might take

1) Kaluban Cloak Quad mag pouch: there's actually not a picture of a quad pistol, but they have this stacked combo thing which I figure is approximate (http://www.calsentllc.com/VBSS_op_660x489.jpg) - $120

2) Comp-Tac belt feed: http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=33&osCsid=g2d2divbcaro430seskutndbh2 - $128

Has anybody seen/used these?

No you probably wont see something like that used in USPSA, not sure about the rules of IDPA being I have not shot IDPA, but the distance from the belt would be too great on the outer mags to comply with the rules. I'd say check get something that holds a single mags to be the best, at least for me, they are closer to the body thats needed per the rules, and you can position each so that they are in there best locations for you. No need to jump out and get the latest and greatest products right now, see what fits your budget, shoot a match or 2 and see how you like it first. If you really like it and see yourself getting into it, get good equipment that you won't out grow. Also if you want to hold off on buying stuff, many times the other shooters (many of us here from the forum) will be able to scrounge up enough equipment to get you through a match to see how you like it.

You asked first about the positions of equipment; For USPSA Production and Single Stack divisions the holster and mag pouches must be behind the point of the hip. Pretty much the same for IDPA, which also has a concealment requirement. There is also a height requirement for the holster, but it escapes me right now. Check out the rules at both the USPSA and IDPA sites.

IDPA only allows two extra mags to be carried, whereas USPSA you can carry as many as you can fit around your waist (ha! the fluffy-man's advantage). The two examples you found are an expensive solution to a simple problem. Check out Blade Tech for holsters and mag pouches. The Revolution line of mag pouches is particularly wallet friendly.

Weather permitting there is a USPSA match at CJRPC this Sunday. If you have an interest in participating, say so in a thread and express that you are a newbie and need equipment - tell us what kind of gun you have and most likely, some or a few people will come up with the needed equipment for you to try it. A little easier to get started in IDPA since less equipment is required, but there are more rules to think about, than with USPSA. You may want to come and spectate to get a feel for what people are using and what a course of fire looks like. However, most people that do that regret just not jumping in and shooting.

Give it a whirl.

Adios,

Pizza Bob