Rifleman1

Fuel & Water Storage

I'm shopping for cans to use for water and fuel storage and am wondering what others on the forums may be using for their water and fuel storage. I'm particularly looking at mil-spec Jerry cans somewhat similar to these I found on survivalmonkey.com. What have you found or what do you use and why???

USGI plastic Military Fuel Can (MFC):

The plastic MFC is the current US military fuel can and like its brother, the USGI plastic military water can (MWC), is very tough and very durable. It’s much lighter than the steel jerry can and rust and corrosion are not a consideration with the plastic can. Another advantage of the USGI cans is that plastic is much less noisier than metal cans.

These cans are made by the same USGI water can manufacturer, Scepter of Canada. Current source for new cans is Brigade Quartermaster (BQ), Davidson Products and Generator Joe (see the appendix for sources and web sites). Cost new is $39 each at BQ although I’ve seen combination sales of both the can and spout for about $45. The main difference between the MFC and MWC is that the fuel can has three handles vs. water can’s one and a different spout cap size and threads. Caps are not interchangeable between the 2 cans.

Used plastic MFC’s can be purchased at Major Surplus for about $10 each. Since these are used military MFC’s, all of the ones I have are for diesel fuel. According to Scepter, the gasket material is different for diesel vs. gas. Although there are no MIL markings on them, they are made by Scepter and have the same dimensions, cap/spout interface etc. as the USGI MFC. I have several used MFC’s from Major’s and, except for minor surface scuffing and one can missing a gasket, they are in good shape and do not leak. I’ve always had good luck with Major’s; however, your mileage may vary (YMMV).

The USGI MFC cans meet the US Federal specification A-A-59592, Can, Fuel, Military: 20-liter Capacity, dated August 28, 2000. This specification supersedes the previous Military specification MIL-C-53109, although new MFC cans that I’ve seen carry the MIL markings. Both of these specifications are in the public domain and should be available at any public library. See figure 1 for a drawing and dimensions of the USGI MFC.

portab1.jpg

Figure 1 USGI MFC with dimensions (figure from A-A-59592)

This can has a 3.4” external (male) thread for the cap and designed to use a female threaded pour spout. This pour spout is not compatible with any other jerry can. The USGI MFC also has an internal female thread. This female thread pattern and size is compatible with the old “Blitz” style male threaded spouts. See figure 2 for the external thread and dimensions; note that the internal female threads are not shown on this figure.

Another advantage of the USGI MFC is that there are adapter cap assemblies available to turn the MFC into a spare fuel tank for your vehicle. These products are available from Davidson Products. A complete adapter cap assembly with hoses etc. costs $80, however you can get the adapter cap itself without hoses for about $25.

portab2.jpg

Figure 2 USGI MFC external pour spout thread and dimensions (from A-A-59592). The internal female threads are not shown. These internal threads are compatible with the male-threaded “Blitz” style pour spouts.

Figure 3 shows a picture of the USGI MFC and three pour spouts designed for them. Note that for unleaded gas powered vehicles in the US, you will need the smallest ¾” pour spout. Replacement gaskets are available directly from Scepter; gaskets for gasoline cans are about $4.95 each with diesel gaskets are about $1.95 each. The gaskets for gasoline cans are made of viton.

portab3.jpgportab4.gif

Figure 3, USGI MFC with 3 pour spouts. Note the female threads on the spout and cap. (photo courtesy of Scepter)

Read more: http://www.survivalmonkey.com/portable-fuel-storage.html#ixzz1liC9T9Y3

I don't know your intent, but as far a water storage, why not just buy cases and cases or jugs and jugs of water each time you go to BJ's or Sam's Club or Costco? All you need to do is store it. No worrys about additional totes or containers.

I don't know your intent, but as far a water storage, why not just buy cases and cases or jugs and jugs of water each time you go to BJ's or Sam's Club or Costco? All you need to do is store it. No worrys about additional totes or containers.

The problem with storing that water is you have to rotate your stock because it does go "bad" in time because of minerals and such in water like poland spring water,also exposure to light can lead to other issues. Distilled water in those plastic heat sealed bags stored inside of a container away from light is best way to store water.

I am unsure about storing of fuel for extended periods of time, I believe you need to use stabilizers.

The problem with storing that water is you have to rotate your stock because it does go "bad" in time because of minerals and such in water like poland spring water,also exposure to light can lead to other issues. Distilled water in those plastic heat sealed bags stored inside of a container away from light is best way to store water.

I am unsure about storing of fuel for extended periods of time, I believe you need to use stabilizers.

I'll need to find out how the military stores, rotates or treats water stored in these cans.

Distilled water is unhealthy to drink for long periods of time due to the lack of minerals.

I store water on a 6 month rotation in a food grade HDPE 55 gallon drum. I use bleach using 1tsp per 5 gallons added to the drum before sealing it. I also have a Lifesaver filter as a backup.

Good info here http://www.drinkingwater.utah.gov/emergency_water_storage.htm

No threads on the fuel can for a spout.

Distilled water is unhealthy to drink for long periods of time due to the lack of minerals.

I store water on a 6 month rotation in a food grade HDPE 55 gallon drum. I use bleach using 1tsp per 5 gallons added to the drum before sealing it. I also have a Lifesaver filter as a backup.

Good info here http://www.drinkingw...ter_storage.htm

That would be good for home and bug out location use. At 459 pounds net it would be tough to transport so I'll need both. I installed 55 gallon rain barrels to collect the runoff that I can use at home for washing or drinking and cooking (if treated).

The issue with water, is that you need to be able to make clean water. In this part of the country, water is everywhere, so let nature store it for you and have a plan to purify it. Food grade barrels are perfect but there is no good way to store water for long periods without it going fetid.

During the ice storm of Dec 2008, after 18 hours of shelling, people started walking around in awe of the disaster. Except the crazy cat lady down the street. She was practically wailing "what am I going to do, my cats need water". I happened to have two bottles in my coat pocket that I gave her. She stopped panicking and went inside the house so we could get back to work. No road was passable until much later that day. Anyway, despite the fact that her house is 20 feet from 2 billion gallons of water, it apparently never occurred to her to get some for the damn cats. You can see the pictures here: http://thewellrats.com/malbor2/storm08/

Did you get the 55gl drum locally or did you order them in? I've seen Craigs listings for used drums that supposedly only had food grade material in them, but I'm leary of relying on their interpretation of 'food grade'. I haven't found a local source for new barrels. (blue poly 55gl types)

I put a couple of these on the corners of the house, shortened the downspout and put the angled end back on. They work great. There is an overflow drain if needed and a hose bib connection.

41ZsMvC-XVL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Achla-Designs-RB-02-Green-Barrel/dp/B000QFQ14I/ref=pd_sim_ol_2

Did you get the 55gl drum locally or did you order them in? I've seen Craigs listings for used drums that supposedly only had food grade material in them, but I'm leary of relying on their interpretation of 'food grade'. I haven't found a local source for new barrels. (blue poly 55gl types)

I ordered it online. Came shipped by one of those bulk carriers like when you get furniture. You can find them online. Like here. Don't forget the bung wrench and pump. Use the bleach, or if you want to go fancy, the chlorine dioxide kits they sell for bulk water sanitizing. Rotate the supply. Its still a good idea to boil or re-treat the water if you ever have to use it.

As others said, it is still necessary to have a method of sanitizing water from your environment. Rain gathering, lakes, rivers, streams, even digging a shallow well. The 55 gal drum will maintain survival for a good amount of time for two people if rationed properly. At .75 gallons per day per person, the 55gal drum would last a couple for roughly a month. If you plan on going longer than that you'll need another plan.

Water and shelter come before food.

Oh and for fuel. I just went out and bought 4 5 gallon plastic cans from Home Depot. The ones with the spout built in. I throw some stabil in, date it, and re-stabil them every 6 mos until they reach around 1.5 years. I then just use them for gas in the cars and restart the process. I also use the gas for power equipment, so there is some usage/renewal going on through the year...

Storing gas is never easy, it has a shelf life of about a month unless you treat it with a stabilizer, and even then it wants to turn into shellac after only a few months. Your best bet is to find a way to keep an amount as a reserve while using the oldest gas first and replacing it with new gas. Diesel will keep much longer if you have any use for that.

Intent is the key word here. What are you preparing for exactly? Short term power outage? Long term power outage? Civil unrest? Dec 21, 2012? EMP over Kansas? CME? What time of the year? What location? Is your water supply for drinking only or sanitation too? Etc., etc.

I agree with Malusa about finding a way to purify your water wether you are hunkering down or bugging out. I believe a portable filtration system that removes bacteria, cysts, heavy metals, pesticides, etc. can be purchased for less than a couple hundred bucks. If you live in an area that has water within 15 or 20 ft of the surface, you could drive a well point and install a hand pump. Fair warning, shallow well water could be polluted with all sorts of nasty chems (as can any of NJ's surface waters) so you really need to think that through with your filtration system. I feel the time and energy and $$ invested with filtering/purifying is better spent than rotating barrel stocks. I would still stock 2 to 10 cases of water as a bridge prior to filtration, those stocks can be purchased reasonable cheaply and rotated easily. You can also, if your independently wealthy, buy water in #10 cans from Emergency Essentials or Augason Farms (Sams Club). Those cans store for at least (5) years, maybe (30) years, but pricey. You may aslo, depending on your location, and your intent, look into installing a large cistern(s) in your yard. You could supply the cistern with rain water, (still have to get the filtration system), and/or have a automatic fill from your domestic water supply, or just run your hose into it every weekend to clarify it some what.

What kind of fuel are you trying to store? Diesel, gasoline, kerosene, home heating oil? Again what is your intent? Short term or long term difficulties? What are you using the fuel for? Generator power? Vehicles? Hunkering or bugging out? I have not been impressed with stabil in my small engines, it may be fine for bulk storage of gasoline. Diesel lasts, someone correct me if I'm wrong, indefinitely. I know a guy who had between 24,000 and 30,000 gallons of diesel stockpiled in underground tanks since the late 60's, the tanks came out in the 2000's. Fuel was still good. Tanks were good too!

You did not mention anything about food so I assume you are not doomsday planning, but if you or anyone reading this thread is looking for long term (30) years prepackaged emergency food, try Sams Club. This link should get you there. http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/category.jsp?categoryId=1340121&navAction=jump&iid=Header|All_Products|Emergency

They sell a small, I call sampler kit for $150. http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod3111476&navAction=push

They also sell emergency water storage and other emergency planning items.

Also Emergency Essentials http://beprepared.com/default.asp

Good luck

Has anyone tried the PRI-G gas treatment?

Great stuff. It supposedly will even re-invigorate dead gas. I have never tried that but for long term storage 2+ years, it's the only product that claims it works for that length of time. I ran out of that and went with some Seafoam last time. Not quite the same thing, but so far so good.