panteramatt

Recommend me an inexpensive AR or AK?

Comes with a 30 round mag, that's illegal. However everything else SEEMS to be okay (I could be wrong) but the mag makes it illegal. It's possible to have it shipped to an FFL who will dispose of the mag, or get it pinned to 15 rounds, then you'll be okay.

I'm not sure about the muzzle-end. They call it a brake, which I believe IS legal, but if it's a flash-hider/supressor by name, it's illegal.

Some distributors are aware of the 15 round mag law in NJ. When I called the sales place in AZ for my WASR regarding a question, I heard this in the background:

"Why is there a note for this order?"

"It's a New Jersey order, they replace the 30 round mag with a 10 round mag."

Check out http://www.classicfi...s.co/Saiga.htm. Over the summer, they had stock Saigas for $299 and factory 10-round magazines (which would not work w/ a converted Saiga and which do not hold the bolt open), they were $9.99. Prices have increased, but they are still pretty good. You could probably get a transfer for about $55 if you shopped around for an NJ FFL, and you would have to pay their shipping fees. So, you are looking at about $450 for one with 3 magazines. You can also get the side scope mount, too.

However, you would need to decide if you are going to keep it stock, or if you are going to convert it and see this carbine's potential.

If you go with the .223 it will most certainly dent all of the cartridges. There are some fixes for the AK Kiss, though. I would probably go with the 7.62x39. It is versatile and ammo is cheap and it packs a greater punch than the .223.

Stock Saigas are a little on the heavy side. Ones with 16 inch barrels may be more accurate, usually than the 20" due to the barrel flexing. They are certainly handier and make more sense considering the overall purpose/use of a Saiga.