Sign in to follow this  
bulpup

PPK/S

nice guns, recoil is a bit on the harsher side. You have some older models that were first made in the states that have an issue feeding ammo. The new ones supposedly fixed this issue.

If you always wanted one, great gun... otherwise, practically there are better choices out there.

Other fine alternative is the commie variants, either a new commercial Russian Makarov, or... the cream of the crop, East German Makarovs from the 60's. Mine has a da/sa far better than most new production guns. and 9mm makarov alot cheaper than 380.

I recommend a non-S&W PPK or PPK/S. That leaves you with the used Manurhin or Interarms-imported German ones.

S&W redesigned the pistol to improve upon it, but in my opinion did anything but.

I have a W. German PPK of early 1980s manufacture in .380 and I love it. Despite the stout recoil it is fun to shoot. The .32 PPK or PPK/S will give you faster followup shots, lighter recoil, an easier to rack slide and one extra round in both platforms. The PPK can use /S mags, but not vice-versa.

I chose .380 because I wanted it to be a carry gun, and because I wanted no chance of rimlock (rare as it might be). From what I have read, the .380s tend to be more ammo sensitive, though.

If you ever want to try it out, I'd be glad to meet up.

grips can be a little abrasive on the hands after 50 or so rounds..they had QC problems with S&W for a while..ramp on some may need to be polshed on non-round nose bullets..my interarms ppk/s is perfect..sweet lil gun.

Steve

I have the SW version. IMO the quality does not deserver to have the name Walther stamped on it. The grip has sharp edges and the beaver tail cuts me everytime. I think you are better off with an ealier German or French made model. Or get a WWII version.

If you really like the design, get an older model PPK, Sig 230, CZ82/83 or Makarov.

• I have the S&W version, which was recalled due to a safety issue. I like the gun for what it is: a small gun to carry. The recoil is a little harsh, the slide bites my hand and after 50 rounds, I'm done. But I have meaty hands and I didn't get it for an every day shooter. I put a couple hundred rounds through it a year and I use it top carry when I travel outside the PRNJ. As a Carry gun: it conceals well with an IWB holster and I can wear it all day, but it is heavy so it pulls on my pants. It is accurate and fun. If your around Cape May County I'd be happy to show you mine.
  • Enjoy.

nice guns, recoil is a bit on the harsher side. You have some older models that were first made in the states that have an issue feeding ammo. The new ones supposedly fixed this issue.

If you always wanted one, great gun... otherwise, practically there are better choices out there.

and 9mm makarov alot cheaper than 380.

I am guessing then that an older used one is a premium price ? hmm. In the meantime I am now considering calibers based on reloading. so the .380 is a little easier now that I feel more comfortable doing that sort of thing.

I really do like the look of fit though and would get it as a cool object rather than HD or something. Although, come to think of it, the thing that got me thinking about it again was some of the awsome reviews of newer .380 HD rounds.

I recommend a non-S&W PPK or PPK/S. That leaves you with the used Manurhin or Interarms-imported German ones.

I have a W. German PPK of early 1980s manufacture in .380 and I love it. Despite the stout recoil it is fun to shoot. The .32 PPK or PPK/S will give you faster followup shots, lighter recoil, an easier to rack slide and one extra round in both platforms.

I chose .380 because I wanted it to be a carry gun, and because I wanted no chance of rimlock (rare as it might be). From what I have read, the .380s tend to be more ammo sensitive, though.

If you ever want to try it out, I'd be glad to meet up.

It is accurate and fun. If your around Cape May County I'd be happy to show you mine.

Such generosity! I get it though - German versions from around the '80's I'll start looking. Maybe when I get further into receiving the next PP I will reach out to you guys again.

Thanks!

I am guessing then that an older used one is a premium price ? hmm. In the meantime I am now considering calibers based on reloading. so the .380 is a little easier now that I feel more comfortable doing that sort of thing.

I really do like the look of fit though and would get it as a cool object rather than HD or something. Although, come to think of it, the thing that got me thinking about it again was some of the awsome reviews of newer .380 HD rounds.

Not sure-- Maybe, if you go looking for one on GB. I happened to get lucky and find it at Brick Armory, for a little over $450 out the door. That's about the going rate for new production, I think.

Now that you mention modern ammo: I haven't thoroughly tested it with HPs. Only 50 rounds of Gold Dots, which I got a couple of jams with. I'm going to try Golden Sabers next, which are known to feed well in most guns due to the rounded nose. I have heard that the classic guns don't like hollow points, so I'm not sure yet how well that will work. Reloads have been fine.

My reasons for not liking the S&W: spotty QC, rougher finish/machining, more complicated construction (hammer block).

There are benefits to buying a S&W. You get the ability to send it back for repairs, the S&W is built for hollowpoints, and the gun doesn't bite due to the extended tang, though mine hasn't bitten me... yet.

The SA trigger is HEAVY on both. SA is much better with just a bit of creep. Either way, it's a tradeoff, choosing one over the other. Boils down to personal preference. A good reason to try both.