Sign in to follow this  
Parker

Shooting Sportsman Sporting Shot magazine - Issue #9

love the last page, it looks like one of those quick "look at that! everybody out of the truck and start shootin!" moments... maybe they shopped out the line of pickups?

That is a driven guinea fowl shoot in Africa. Similar to a driven grouse shoot on the Moors of Scotland, or a driven pheasant shoot in England. You take a stand along a tree line or fence line, and let the beaters drive the land towards you, flushing the birds into flight. Those men, women and children depicted on pages 44 & 45 are the beaters. Dove hunting in the U.S. is very similar, only here you take a stand by a watering hole or grain or sunflower field.

The author of the article also contributes to Gray's Sporting Journal and Down East magazine. Some of these same articles appear in Gray's as well. The author, Silvio Calabi, lives in Maine, and writes a lot about upland grouse and woodcock hunting, one of his passions. He also is a big fan of Ryman English Setters. He's written a few books about fly fishing and trout and salmon, also one about Ernest Hemingway's guns.

Used to make a dove hunt every year down in MD for the Sept. 1st opener years ago. Had access to a lot of farms and shooting was plentiful. A few of them make a nice meal.

There is a push in New Jersey to open the season on dove. It's actually been kicked around at Council meetings for the last two years.

was there ever a season here? Not in my lifetime, but it is classified as a "game bird" in this state but has a closed season.

i lived in MD for 7 years, not that it's the best hunting in the country but it does beat the hell outta jersey! i miss rabbit most... My uncle is a gentleman farmer down there. There are still many farms in sections and some great deer hunting, but the area has gotten built up in the last forty years. Wild quail and pheasant hunting used to be great there, but no more.

I signed a petition at the outdoors show a few weeks back

:good: This has been kicked around for a while now. It would be nice to see some positive movement. Only don't be surprised that if there is a season someday it may include a special permit/fee. (This is New Jersey, everything else costs now, right?)