JackDaWack

Employer info for application

Wasn't too sure about this one.... I have 2 jobs, one is a 7-3 mon-fri job, while the other is an as needed weekend job. I have held the weekend job for 4 years now, and have always used that for my applications, but i just recently graduated and started a full time job... I would like to use the weekend job, as they dont care that i own firearms, however, if my full time job caught wind of my firearms owning right, they might not be too thrilled... does it matter which one i put down?

I figured a job is a job, both are w-2 taxable, so either would be fine, but knowing jersey i dunno if they want my "primary" job..

They probably want your primary job but the law states place of employment and since the weekend job is a place of your employment and since the purpose is a background check not permission from your employer, I think the weekend job meets the letter of the law. You have not falsifed your application and you've worked there for 4 years so they know you better.

My weekend job is also the most well known privately owned store in my town, the LEO's always stop in for lunch, and i know we cut them a nice donation every year. So i know they would be ok with me putting it down, i just wasn't sure if the law had "primary" written in it somewhere. I looked at it like some people have a full time job and are part time self employed, maybe they run a very small internet business, could they put down self employed? Say you own a snow plow business which literally consisted of you and a truck, but you are an established business and just make a little extra on the side, but also have a full time job. Technically they are legit employment statuses, but i can just see NJ's panties starting to twist.

This falls under the red-faced dilemma. If you get called on the carpet, will you be able to defend your decision without embarrasment?

If your local PD denies you and you need to explain to a Superior Court judge why you put down your part time job, will you be at ease to defend it?

I think in your case you can defend the partime job as they know you better. That they are firearm friendly is convenient for you but not illegal or evasive. Putting down a trivial self-employed part time job might be construed as evading the intent of the background check.

I have no idea if my employer was contacted but we have a new company handbook that we have to allow a search of our person or vehicle at any time for the purposes of serching for weapons or illegal drugs. We have a disgruntled former employee...and I just got a promotion.

I hear ya, but from what i have gathered over time is that the employment check is just for verification of employment. It has nothing to do with an investigation into your character or ethics, really not a background check at all. It is not to be used as a character reference. Since people put down unemployed all the time, employment status is really a sham to begin with, i find it really stupid that it is on your FID as well... Which is another reason why i would like to keep the same employment reference since it will match my FID. By law the background check into you employment should consist of a formal letter/phone call, asking whether or not u are indeed employed with the establishment and that concludes the employment part of the BG check. So in theory your not really evading anything.

Put down either.

If you are employed by either company it's not a lie.

This question (and many others) should not even be on the form, as self employed, and unemployed are also perfectly valid answers.

i find it really stupid that it is on your FID as well.

They put your employer on your FID? WTF? Mine does not have any employer info..

Every time you change jobs you have to get a new one? That's ridiculous.

Kinda makes it like your FID is only valid while employed by XXXX.

They put your employer on your FID? WTF? Mine does not have any employer info..

Every time you change jobs you have to get a new one? That's ridiculous.

Kinda makes it like your FID is only valid while employed by XXXX.

Actually i lied...lol. Occupation IS on your PP's, not FID. Should have checked before i spoke, but then again those things barely see the light of day.

Use what ever one you want but I can't imagine me even caring if my job knew or not that I own guns, and there is nothing they could do about it anyway.

As far as my job, there isn't a single person that knows me that doesn't know I have guns and shoot, hard to miss when I'm scanning the Blue page Press, gun catalog, or gun magazine.