Underdog

Marlin 336 in Stainless

Is a like-new Marlin 336 Stainless in .30/30 for $300 a good deal? Does anybody have an opinion on one? How does the price of .30/30 ammo compare to .223?

I like the way the gun looks and it is light and responsive and a scope can be mounted to it. The problem is that I don't want to stock another caliber and an expensive one, to boot. The trigger isn't the best at 5 pounds, either. However, I do love the Walnut stock.

Instructions available on how to refine the trigger are located here: http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/336/

30/30 is not too expensive when compared to real rifle ammo (ie not 7.62x39 or 223) and it's easy to reload. i'm still working out some loads with Trailboss.

• Like 1

That is a very good price for a SS Marlin. If it's a pre-2007 gun, it's a genuine Marlin. Remington took over Marlin after 2007. Post 2007-rifles are described by some detractors as Merlington's/Remlin's. To some, this doesn't make a difference. To others, like dyed-in-the-wool Marlin owners; it does. Some of the quality of new Marlin's coming out of the Remington plant in Ilion, N.Y. has been discussed at length on the MarlinOwners forum; some negative. This only shows that people are resistant to change, some feel that CNC made parts are not as traditional as forgings.

Marlin introduced the SS336 in 2000. If there is a JM inside a circle on the left side of the barrel by the receiver, it's a Marlin proof-stamped in the old Marlin North Haven, CT plant. Remington's proofstamp is on the right side of the barrel forward of the receiver.

Still, $300 is a great price, and the .30-30 Win. is a relatively inexpensive centerfire rifle cartridge compared to other high-intensity ones.

• Like 1

Instructions available on how to refine the trigger are located here: http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/336/

30/30 is not too expensive when compared to real rifle ammo (ie not 7.62x39 or 223) and it's easy to reload. i'm still working out some loads with Trailboss.

Dan, let me know what you come up with on your loads, my 336 will be the main reason I get a single stage press and load rifle down the road.

Sounds like a good deal to me. As far as .30-30 ammo, I've seen prices of $12.00/20 up to $20.00/20. Just be glad it's not .300 Savage. That's the one that's going to make me start loading my own.

I would really like a stainless steel lever gun in .357 magnum, that's near the top of my list. And a 336 in .35 Remington.