Some people do carry around the home, or may have access in different locations. As far as leaving doors unlocked, well I do live in a nice neighborhood but my family and I will always have the doors locked unless we are on the front porch. I don't go around wearing my tinfoil hat or anything like that, but I am prepared and ready when at home, and like I said I live in a nice neighborhood but I think that people who do this that live in crappy neighborhoods can only rib others who may not have anything worth robbing so they might as well go to a place where people have things.

Do I think all places are unsafe, No, do I think everyone everywhere should be vigilant, Yes.

Good point. Like I said the rash of home invasions had me thinking. Definitely have to start by locking the doors. :)

my front doorknob general is unlocked when we're home during the day. However if I were faced with a true home invasion I'd be SOL because I don't have anything real handy unless I'm I the br. Have a young son that gets into everything. How do you guys that say that if you were charged you'd fire get to your gun? Because you would have mere seconds. Do you carry around the house? What's he solution here?

first of all.. you have a young son.. LOCK YOUR DOORS... locks only keep honest people out.. but they do slow down the dishonest ones.. what could you possibly have to gain by leaving the door unlocked?

second.. now that I am in PA pretty much all the time (moving there) if I am awake.. I am carrying a gun.. I have nieces.. and nephews.. I pick them up.. play with them.. and my holstered gun is not a threat to them.. a holstered weapon is not going to randomly go off and start killing people.. so to answer you.. yes.. I carry around the house..

edit.. was not trying to be rude.. but I just don't get why some people leave doors unlocked.. it makes absolutely no sense to me...

first of all.. you have a young son.. LOCK YOUR DOORS... locks only keep honest people out.. but they do slow down the dishonest ones.. what could you possibly have to gain by leaving the door unlocked?

second.. now that I am in PA pretty much all the time (moving there) if I am awake.. I am carrying a gun.. I have nieces.. and nephews.. I pick them up.. play with them.. and my holstered gun is not a threat to them.. a holstered weapon is not going to randomly go off and start killing people.. so to answer you.. yes.. I carry around the house..

edit.. was not trying to be rude.. but I just don't get why some people leave doors unlocked.. it makes absolutely no sense to me...

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not against carrying or carrying around the house. I'm not a Brady campaign idiot that thinks guns jump out holsters and start shooting killing babies and other innocents. I was just generally interested how you guys solve that problem with accessibility for yourselves. If I lived in PA I'd do the same thing.

As far as the locks you're right, never gave it much thought because of where I live.

I'm curious because a home invasion on the news had me thinking. I live in your typical sleepy NJ town, nothing much ever happens and my front doorknob general is unlocked when we're home during the day. However if I were faced with a true home invasion I'd be SOL because I don't have anything real handy unless I'm I the br. Have a young son that gets into everything. How do you guys that say that if you were charged you'd fire get to your gun? Because you would have mere seconds. Do you carry around the house? What's he solution here?

I carry on my property and when outside of NJ. Doors are kept locked to prevent unwelcome folks from walking in. Situational awareness dictates that you would be vigilant and aware of persons around your property. I also am on the lookout for hawks circling above the dog when he heads outside to do his business. Ammo and weapons are stored in locked safes on all floors so I can get to it if needed.

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not against carrying or carrying around the house. I'm not a Brady campaign idiot that thinks guns jump out holsters and start shooting killing babies and other innocents. I was just generally interested how you guys solve that problem with accessibility for yourselves. If I lived in PA I'd do the same thing.

As far as the locks you're right, never gave it much thought because of where I live.

I carry in a holster.. I admit when I lived in NJ it was a bit odd to go home and throw a gun on my waist... since I do not personally have any little ones, I just keep my gun on the desk.. coffee table.. etc..but when others are around it is in a holster.. the holster is just dependent on what I am wearing.. what I am doing.. was not implying you were fearful of a discharge.. but some people with kids think carrying a gun would be so hard because kids have a tendency to touch everything.. and I was just stressing that I have experienced a very normal life around kids while carrying a gun.. first choice would be a holster with a retention system..

Some good discussion here. Even the whole sidebar about firing a "warning shot" was kind of interesting. I actually had an LEO tell me one time that if you ever shoot someone, you should crap in your pants, so you can say, "See, I was so afraid for my life that I pooped my pants." (Those weren't his exact words, but he really did say that.) And no, I'm definitely not endorsing that approach, just pointing out that you can hear all kinds of things from LEO's and others.

I appreciate everyone's input. As vladtepes and others have noted, if you have drawn down on someone and that person rushes you, I suppose it's safe to assume that you would be in fear for your life, hence justified in shooting.

BTW, that video raises some interesting questions. While I was watching it, I thought that the driver was in control of a lethal weapon, and could have used it to neutralize the threat of deadly force (i.e. by running the guy over). She certainly could have made a case that she felt her life was in danger, from the way the guy was acting. In the end though, she drove away with just property damage and did not have to take a life. It looked more inadvertant than calculated, but it turned out to be the right thing to do.