Daedalus

NJ scores #2 behind Kalifornia in Brady Report

My state is also 2 ...well that is 2 out of 100

http://www.bradycampaign.org/stategunlaws/scorecard/KY

"Kentucky has weak gun laws that help feed the illegal gun market and allow the sale of guns without background checks, according to the Brady Campaign. "

I wasn't aware I can go to the gun store and buy a rifle or pistol without a background check....

• Like 1

Having lived in both states for at least 5 years I still maintain that California is only worse on paper.

Yes, if CCW is your main objective. If you are a gun collector, Cali is far worse than NJ.

Either way they both suck when looking at gun laws.

It's sad that their motto "To prevent gun violence" sole answer is to take guns away from everyone. Do they even address alternate means by which these guns are obtained by criminals guilty of gun violence?

Uhhh, that would be the practical thing to do, so NO.

There's been a lot of battlespace prep lately by the anti-Americans with new phrasesology and misleading claims---'crime gun exports' 'buying guns over the internet' 'gun show loophole' Rahm Emanuel pushing registration in Ill. Now this farce by the corrupt drug cartel owned Mexican gov't--Fartbongo's cronies know gun control is a loser issue, but are trying to work it in somehow--

On that page it mentions that the super-free states (AK, AZ, UT) lead the country in "crime gun exports". Now that to me is a great focus area for local/federal law enforcement.

Yes, if CCW is your main objective. If you are a gun collector, Cali is far worse than NJ.

Either way they both suck when looking at gun laws.

Not sure what you mean. Ive bought a gun in NJ and 2 in CA. it is was far more difficult NJ. Read the manual, take the quiz, get your card, fill out your paperwork, pay your money, comeback in 10 days demonstrate your ability to handle a firearm (that usually means taking the quiz again) pick up your gun. Wait 30 days and do it again. Sounds like a lot of hoops but its a relatively simple process and it all happens at the store with people who actually want you to have the gun. Point is if I walk into a store today, 10 days from today I walk out with my gun (barring any issue with the background check). Heck, some stores that have ranges will even let you come in and shoot your gun while you wait for your 10 days to pass. As far as CCW goes, there are counties out here that actually issue them like they are supposed to. I dont believe the same is true in NJ.

You are right about them both sucking though. When I lived in VA I used to complain about waiting 20 minutes for my background check.

(Edit)

You may have meant in terms of variety? If that was your point you are absolutely right. Just happens that every gun I've ever wanted is on "the list". I could see if I was a colector looking for a specific model not liking it here much.

The real world is that bad people will always use some type of a weapon to give them an edge, and smart people will always use some type of a weapon for defense. its been that way since the dawn of time. What politicans don't understand is they need to keep weapons out of criminal's hands let good people defend themselves.

The real world is that bad people will always use some type of a weapon to give them an edge, and smart people will always use some type of a weapon for defense. its been that way since the dawn of time. What politicans don't understand is they need to keep weapons out of criminal's hands let good people defend themselves.

Or the politicians realize that people don't think when they vote (or are plain stupid) and want something that sounds like it's helping, but when they stop to think it's really not very beneficial

see no tolls in CT and not being able to pump your own gas in NJ

Having lived in both states for at least 5 years I still maintain that California is only worse on paper.

Agreed, NJ is worse. You can get a permit to carry from most areas in CA, and they are good statewide, although you should be discrete in the non-permissive areas. Easy enough that you can move just outside of a difficult county that you work in if it's important to you.

Saying NJ is better than CA because CA has a list of approved handguns and bullet-buttons on ARs is like saying Canada is better than the US because they can import military-style rifles from overseas. They need restricted permits to have them, can't take them anywhere, and can't carry a damn thing. And we can have the same stuff or better for most firearms anyway, just the pesky import rules cause incoveniences in some cases.

Not sure what you mean. Ive bought a gun in NJ and 2 in CA. it is was far more difficult NJ. Read the manual, take the quiz, get your card, fill out your paperwork, pay your money, comeback in 10 days demonstrate your ability to handle a firearm (that usually means taking the quiz again) pick up your gun. Wait 30 days and do it again. Sounds like a lot of hoops but its a relatively simple process and it all happens at the store with people who actually want you to have the gun. Point is if I walk into a store today, 10 days from today I walk out with my gun (barring any issue with the background check). Heck, some stores that have ranges will even let you come in and shoot your gun while you wait for your 10 days to pass. As far as CCW goes, there are counties out here that actually issue them like they are supposed to. I dont believe the same is true in NJ.

You are right about them both sucking though. When I lived in VA I used to complain about waiting 20 minutes for my background check.

(Edit)

You may have meant in terms of variety? If that was your point you are absolutely right. Just happens that every gun I've ever wanted is on "the list". I could see if I was a colector looking for a specific model not liking it here much.

Yes, that's what I was referring to.

Buying handguns in CA seems like an easier process, but buying long guns in NJ once you have your FID (and yes I know it's a pain to get an FID in the first place) sounds like a simpler process.

And again both systems suck and have a bunch of (probably intentionally) needless procedures.

Agreed, NJ is worse. You can get a permit to carry from most areas in CA, and they are good statewide, although you should be discrete in the non-permissive areas. Easy enough that you can move just outside of a difficult county that you work in if it's important to you.

Saying NJ is better than CA because CA has a list of approved handguns and bullet-buttons on ARs is like saying Canada is better than the US because they can import military-style rifles from overseas. They need restricted permits to have them, can't take them anywhere, and can't carry a damn thing. And we can have the same stuff or better for most firearms anyway, just the pesky import rules cause incoveniences in some cases.

You are not a collector. I like to collect older milsurp, and 90% of what I own here or would like to buy is not available in CA.

I can't agree with your Canada comparison, yes they don't have absurd import regs and you can get firearms mailed directly to your house, but the buying advantages end there. You can't own handguns with a barrel length of less than 4.11" (or something like that) and mags are limited to 5 rounds (IIRC). Put on top of that all the hoops you must jump through to buy any guns, I'd take NJ over Canada or CA - sad choices to have though. Also, the odds of CCW being forced on NJ in the future are better than the odds of CA being forced to allow the sales of firearms not on their "list"

You are not a collector. I like to collect older milsurp, and 90% of what I own here or would like to buy is not available in CA.

I can't agree with your Canada comparison, yes they don't have absurd import regs and you can get firearms mailed directly to your house, but the buying advantages end there. You can't own handguns with a barrel length of less than 4.11" (or something like that) and mags are limited to 5 rounds (IIRC). Put on top of that all the hoops you must jump through to buy any guns, I'd take NJ over Canada or CA - sad choices to have though. Also, the odds of CCW being forced on NJ in the future are better than the odds of CA being forced to allow the sales of firearms not on their "list"

How many guns makes a collector?

Just a matter of different priorities. I see your point of view, I just don't feel the same way.

I'd take NJ over Canada or CA

I didn't compare NJ to Canada, I compared the US to Canada as an analogy for CA compared with NJ. IMO, the US and CA are better, respectively, for similar reasons.

But, yes, of course, I doubt most of us would argue that CA and NJ deserve the bottom two spots, maybe just which spot is which.

How does CA compare to NJ when it comes to the easy by which agencies can make law in the administrative areas of the statutes. Seems we give lots of power to the offices of the Superintendent of the NJSP and the NJAG.

How does CA compare to NJ when it comes to the easy by which agencies can make law in the administrative areas of the statutes. Seems we give lots of power to the offices of the Superintendent of the NJSP and the NJAG.

It's sort of an academic distinction. We're talking about two of the worst states for gun laws that consider themselves part of the US. You're going to suck long and hard regardless of who delivers.

Yes, that's what I was referring to.

Buying handguns in CA seems like an easier process, but buying long guns in NJ once you have your FID (and yes I know it's a pain to get an FID in the first place) sounds like a simpler process.

And again both systems suck and have a bunch of (probably intentionally) needless procedures.

I agree.

Also, the odds of CCW being forced on NJ in the future are better than the odds of CA being forced to allow the sales of firearms not on their "list"

I doubt we will actually see CCW in NJ, ever. The only way that it will be is if HR822 passes and NJ remains a may issue state. If it passes though, we will probably go no issue...

True, when I was in the Marines one of my buddies ended up in the corp because he had been charged with attempted manslaughter and was given a choice of serving time or enlisting. The weapon he used to try to kill someone was his car. Stabbings are also common place but do not seem to receive the same level of attention as shootings do. Imagine if the requirements applied to purchasing a handgun were also applied to obtaining a car or a carving knife. If someone is intent to hurt or kill someone there are many alternative weapons.

It's kind of sad, just thinking... if it weren't for the crappy gun laws, this really would be a great state to live in.

I agree, remove the gun laws, high income tax, high propety tax, high car insurance, super corrupt NJEA and 50% of workers working for the sate...oh and get rid of traffic and this would be an awesome state to live in....