when_shtf

Any Opinions on the S&W M&P Sport?

well to start.. you wont be buying an "AK47" or any of that..

you will be buying some modern variant.. WASR.. Saiga.. etc..

I personally prefer Saigas because I have had an insane amount of success with them..

you can get an AK variant in 223... 308... 5.45x39.. 7.62x39..

what you choose will be based on what you want out of the gun... 308 has a lot of power.. 7.62x39 is a strong mid range caliber that will penetrate more than 223.. 5.45x39 is cheap.. and has virtually no recoil..

"what AK do I get" is a broad question..

I built many Saigas.. but I kept a Saiga in 7.62x39 because it is insanely reliable... penetrates more than 223.. and gets it done..

if you tell me what you want out of an AK I can likely point you in the right direction..

this is mine..saiga762finalvlad.JPG

Insanely reliable does it for me.

Does it make sense to reload the 7.62x38?

Thanks for posting the videos. I had seen two of them, so teo were new to me.

I'm starting to learn a few thing now. Here's a question: NJ law states that a rifle may not have a "folding" stock. Is that the same as the 6-position adjustable stock? I see that the compliant M&P15 Sport has a fixed stock, yet it appears to have the adjustment handle. When I first saw "fixed stock" I just assumed it wasn't removable.

What is allowed in NJ?

I just went to Ramsey Outdoor in Ledgewood and they have the Sport in .556 for $699. I am now thinking I will buy one instead of a shotgun since it is mostly a fun gun for me to shoot at longer ranges than I am currently doing with a handgun. On a side note, this is the second time I was at Ramsey in the 3 weeks (first time looking at a shotgun) and a bald guy with gray beard helped me both times. Excellent customer service and I can ask some pretty stupid questions.

Thank you everyone for the discussion on the M&P15 Sport. While I do like the rifle, I decided to build (more accurately assemble) my own. I think the M&P15 Sport represents a good value in the market for a buy-n-fire AR, but in the end I believe there is better value in assembling one from a competed upper and completed lower. Here's what I ordered:

Del-Tron 16" Light Weight Custom Upper -$480 (plus 25 shipping) (1x9, Chrome Lined Barrel), including bolt & carrier,CAR hand guards, Phantom aggressive end Comp/Brake (pinned & welded), flat top upper with M4 feed ramps, charging handle & CAR gas tube

New Frontier Armory LW-15 Polymer Complete Lower - $99 (includes shipping). I was looking for a Plum Crazy lower and discovered this one. After the rifle is built I'll have to get it into the hands of an AR expert to get their opinion.

Magpul GEN2 MBUS Rear Site $47

MTN Armory 15/30 Polymer Pmag's $17 Each (I got 3)

I have about $665 (including shipping) into this AR before fees. The lower was shipped through Jim Flynn and he charges a $35 transfer fee and $15 NICS. So for about $715 I got a custom AR.

Assembly should take 3 minutes, 5 minutes if I drink a glass of water during the process. With the lightweight barrel and polymer lower and magazine, this should be a very light rifle.

I'll start a thread when it's all together. The upper wont be here for 4 to 6 weeks. I can't wait to shoot it!

Once again, thanks for helping me decide on the correct path (for me).