Sign in to follow this  
njitmetal

M14 receivers - which are allowed

Which receivers am I able to take delivery of in NJ?

You probably meant this, but you yourself can't take delivery of any of them; they need to be transferred through an FFL. Otherwise, I don't believe there are any limitations as long as they don't have any markings to make them similar to any banned weapons.

You probably meant this, but you yourself can't take delivery of any of them; they need to be transferred through an FFL. Otherwise, I don't believe there are any limitations as long as they don't have any markings to make them similar to any banned weapons.

Yup, I meant through an FFL. Thanks for looking out though!

Is an LRB Arms receiver marked "M14SA" legal? I assume the SA stands for semi auto...

Post-ban manufactured (1994) M14 receivers sold to the general public are only semi-auto capable. They are absent the rear lug tab which the selector switch affixes to. They (post-ban receivers) cannot be made to fire full-auto. Of course the gray area here is how New Jersey interprets a receiver that is stamped "M14XX." Technically, none of the new receivers offer selective fire capabilities.

Contact an FFL in N.J. (there's a few on this site) and ask them if they will transfer and sell you one.

Pictorial -

M14 receiver with rear tab for semi/full-auto selector switch - this receiver has been destroyed :-(

m14receiver.jpg

An M14S showing the selector switch. Note position of switch and how it lines up with selector tab:

m14_fire_selector.jpg

Post-ban "M14" receiver w/o rear lug tab for selector switch

m1areceiverwofullautolug.jpg

Current production post-ban M14 receivers from various makers:

LRB's M14SA receiver - note absence of rear selector switch tab

386_M14_rec_left_640_web.JPG

Fulton Armory's M14 receiver - note absence of rear selector switch tab

1FASTDRecPic.1.1.jpg

Smith Enterprise's M14 receiver - note absence of rear selector switch tab

receiver10.jpg

7.62mm Firearms' M14 receiver - note absence of rear selector switch tab

reciever_oct09.3.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for all that info. To make things more confusing everyone calls semi auto M14 clones "M1A's". But that is just a registered trademark name of one company. Every other company making semi auto M14 clones has to call them something different. And the NJ gun laws only refer to something called a "M14S" as being banned by name whatever that may be. I would assume as long as my rifle is not called an "M14S" ans is post ban compliant I should be ok.

Thanks for all that info. To make things more confusing everyone calls semi auto M14 clones "M1A's". But that is just a registered trademark name of one company. Every other company making semi auto M14 clones has to call them something different. And the NJ gun laws only refer to something called a "M14S" as being banned by name whatever that may be. I would assume as long as my rifle is not called an "M14S" ans is post ban compliant I should be ok.

If you contact Lou at LRB, he will confide that he's NEVER gotten a definitive answer to that obvious question when posed to the NJSP. He simply relies on the judgement of the FFL's in New Jersey and goes from there. Call or email him. He's very helpful.