Sign in to follow this  
nj22

+1 for Bullet Hole

They don't get a lot of love here. And I get it. The name is apt--the rests in most of the ports do have bullet holes. Mostly .22 it seems. Who shoots a rest? How do you shoot a rest? And forget about a casual back and forth with the friendly local shop owner. Even during off peak hours it's far too busy. Yet...

I had a few problems with my 9mm. So I bought some extra springs. They required some fitting, which I hadn't expected. I asked the friendly local shop owner at BH and he lent me a punch and hammer, straight from the smith. Gave me the proper ribbing for his time, but all in all it was much appreciated.

Today I had additional, different failures. This was due to bad ammo (I've surmised thanks to njgunforum members). Per NRA insurance rules I asked the RO to clear my jammed gun. I could have done it myself, but the slide was really locked, and I play by the rules. Clearing a stovepipe is one thing, but this required a lot of pounding on a gun with a live round, and I wouldn't want the guy next to me doing that without supervision. The point is, the RO handled it. Maybe not the way I wanted (a little rough, and he told me the cause was lack of oil). But still, he was helpful.

So there it is, +1 for bullet hole. I know a guy plaxicoed himself there recently, and safety fears abound. But I've found them helpful (even if they "don't have in stock" the gun I want, which I can see on the shelf right in front of me).

Lots of negatives about the BH, but on the plus side, they do have a large inventory there. And while it's nearly impossible to get a smile or a friendly greeting from most of the staff there, I've found Carmine to be a good guy. Even grumpy, old John the RO can be OK once you get to know him a bit.

• Like 1

I've read all the reviews here , but i can honestly say I have not had a problem there . Granted I have never purchased anything but range time and some ammo but I did not find the ROs to be unpleasant in any way. In fact they have all been nice , helped me out a few times , gave a tip or two. If "the old guy" RO that everyone is always complaining about is the tall guy with the white hair , he has been nothing but nice to me and I have seen him being polite to other people that were doing something minor he wished for them to change. I have seen him get justifiably annoyed with people who were flat out breaking rules , but that is his job. The people at the counter were fine too , and the owner was convivial enough IMO. Ok , maybe you have to initiate small talk with him, but that is fine.

Yes , it is cramped , yes there is often a wait. It is what it is. But , they have told me the wait time accurately each time and gave rain checks when time ran out. I went there with 1 1/2 hours of closing once and they warned me I might not get on. Seemed fair enough to me.

• Like 1

Lots of negatives about the BH, but on the plus side, they do have a large inventory there. And while it's nearly impossible to get a smile or a friendly greeting from most of the staff there, I've found Carmine to be a good guy. Even grumpy, old John the RO can be OK once you get to know him a bit.

I lived 2 blocks away and would go shoot there a few times a week and after a few months you would think the guys would lighten up a little bit but man they are the most miserable people in the world. I am pretty outgoing nice guy and very friendly. I would smile say hello by name and would get nothing but a grunt and maybe a wave. Not to mention, the fact that I bought my gun there you would expect at least some common courtesy from these guys. I have since moved to Lincoln Park, and will never step foot back in that place.

• Like 1

Take it for what it is..... I have never had an unpleasant experience there. The younger RO is a pretty cool guy, the older RO u need to just mind yourself around. I go, I shoot, I leave. If i inquire about anything there i usually get an answer. My friend asked to see the S&W 500 in the case, clearly indicating he just want to hold it, not buy. The guy was quick to offer it, but didnt push for a sale or really say much at all about it. I wound up asking if they had any used wingmasters, just on a limb here. He could tell i was actually looking to buy something and offered up a couple models and was very strait, honest and informative on them. They do remember you if you go a decent amount, the RO's don't really say anything to me when i walk in now, just "recipe, ok, pick a port". While i see them jump on other people right behind me. They don't have that "family" feeling to your avg. customer, which is kinda a shame, but i just go to shoot. The problem is, when a range opens up closer to me, they don't offer much over the competition, i can get the same experience close to home, if all they offer is a place to shoot, then hell, any range will do. Sometimes i cant help but think what running that place actually does to the people who work there, something bad always happens there, so i'm sure they look at us like the next guy to put a bullet thru his leg.

When I was there last to buy a Vaquero, they were a bit like you all have described. But I attribute that to the fact that they always seem to be busier than one-armed paperhangers and don't have the time to chit-chat. Their advice on my purchase was good, their prices were comparable, if not better than some other places. I certainly don't go there for a friendly conversation; but i'd have to admit that I'd be ticked if they took that kind of time with a guy in line in front of me. They were always professionals, never "miserable" to me. I'd go back there.

BH is a good enough place to shoot. I used to go more regularly, now infrequently for reasons not related to customer service. As jackdawack said, it will do if you just go to shoot and leave. Range price is relatively good and I like the idea of not having to fill out any paperwork to shoot.

As for the attitude encountered there it is VERY annoying, but being located that close to Newark, or in Essex generally, you can imagine the high volume of jackasses they have to suffer daily. I live in Essex and I can say that this place is filled to the gills with jackasses. It gets very tiring.