I know this is going to sound silly BUT...

I've been trying to get in shape lately, mostly by riding my bike. Its basically the only exercise that makes me not want to kill myself with boredom.

Could I case my rifle, throw it over my shoulder with the bags sling and ride off to the range? with FID in wallet of course and perhaps ammo in a bag slung from the handlebars?

Its only a few miles ride. also what about handguns. In locked cases in a backpack perhaps?

The way the law reads: Yes. They do not have to be locked either (unless they are transported by automobile AND you opt to put them in the trunk)--just make sure the guns are unloaded and in a closed and fastened case or securely tied package. The way I read it, the gun has to be INSIDE something. But I think a plastic shopping bag would suffice as long as it is securely tied. I plan to ride my bike about 10 miles to the range this Spring. I have rack/panniers on one of my bikes and plan to put the guns and ammo in my panniers. If you are obviously carrying a long gun, I would not be suprised if you are questioned by LEO, but I am thinking with handguns there would be no reason for them to even ask...unless they are staking out the range.

"shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances."

With your FID in hand (or wallet in this case) you'd be allowed to openly transport without a locked container (long guns only). How far you get is wholy dependent on how the cops are feeling of course. As for hand guns, as long as you follow the guidelines you'll be good to go.

For a long gun I would use something like a guitar case so it doesn't look like I am carrying a gun, just to avoid the hassles of what will happen when the general public sees you riding and calls the cops about some mad man on a bike with a gun. Could be all well and good but you will have that one person that said they SAW the gun and felt threatened and then the fun begins..

I'm only 30 and I remember when teens would ride their bikes to the woods with a shotgun on the handlebars to hunt. I also walked around with a pellet gun shooting in my yard and the field and woods down the street and nobody cared. I was probably 12

Pfft, I remember Medford Police / public range by Medford Lakes as a 18 yr old shooting Ruger 10/22's w 30rd mags, piggybacked. Occasionally Medford cops would roll up and shoot along side w us. NOW look at what BULLSHITT NJ has become!!!!

I know this is going to sound silly BUT...

I've been trying to get in shape lately, mostly by riding my bike. Its basically the only exercise that makes me not want to kill myself with boredom.

Could I case my rifle, throw it over my shoulder with the bags sling and ride off to the range? with FID in wallet of course and perhaps ammo in a bag slung from the handlebars?

Its only a few miles ride. also what about handguns. In locked cases in a backpack perhaps?

Ahhhh, found the perfect scabbard that I could strap to the front fork on the Fat Boy or the Trek, or the Polaris for that matter...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/crooked-horn-outfitters-rifle-scabbard-brown.aspx?a=438525

:yahoo:

I was always interested but didn't have the balls to ask this question. I wondered though about slinging my AK on my back and cycling to Dix 14.

Turns out I would not want the hassle from the public or the LEOs or the other shooters. Especially if I were on my road bike with my Lance Team Radio Shack jersey with spandex shorts. LOL. Go ahead, gimme the jokes. LOL.

On second thought I might have to buy some black pajamas and a round pointed weaved hat. LOL. Dix is a little bit like a jungle.

No I am not nuts. After all, I passed all the checks to buy rifles and handguns!