Sign in to follow this  
TRAKS GUNSMITHING

HELP...NO MARKINGS ON THIS BRASS BREECH RIFLE

THE ATTACHED LINK FROM PHOTO-BUCKET IS FOR A RIFLE A CUSTOMER BROUGHT IN TO HAVE THE RUST-O-LEUM PAINT TAKEN OFF AND RE-BLUED.

THERE ARE "ZERO" PROOF-MARKS, NOT ONE NAME, NOTHING BUT THE SERIAL NUMBER I GUESS WHICH IS 2800.

IT IS BRASS BREECH, WITH A IRON FALLING BLOCK, SINGLE SHOT, CHAMBER MEASURES .440, THE CARTIDGE RIM MEASURES .537. WHERE THE FALLING BLOCK LOCKS INTO THE LOWER TANG THE LOWER TANG IS STEEL, THAT WAS OVER-LAYED WITH BRASS TO CONTINUE THE BRASS BREECH AFFECT. THE BARREL IS OCTAGON, 28" ...FROM MEMORY. THE ONLY OTHER MARKINGS ARE ON THE REAR SIGHT FLIP UP SIGHT. LAYING DOWN THE SIGHT HAS A STAMP 100 - US, STAND THE REAR SIGHT UP AND THE LOWER OPENING IS STAMPED 200 - US, AND FINALLY THE TOP OF THE REAR SIGHT "V" IS STAMPED 500 - US. THIS IS IT FOR ANY MARKINGS ANYWHERE ON THIS RIFLE. THE GUN IS A RIM-FIRE ALSO, NOT A BLACK POWDER. DID I ADD TO THE PUZZLE THAT IT IS A RIM-FIRE.

ANY HELP IN ANY DIRECTION WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

THANK YOU EVERYONE, NEED HELP BAD ON THIS ODD ONE.....

KURT

http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii499/TRAKS1/BRASS%20BREECH%20RIFLE/

stop spamming sub forums, please. It's annoying.

I don't think it's intentional - just think he isn't necessarily computer savvy. Take pity on us greybeards - not all of us are as technically astute as you young pups. JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

THE ATTACHED LINK FROM PHOTO-BUCKET IS FOR A RIFLE A CUSTOMER BROUGHT IN TO HAVE THE RUST-O-LEUM PAINT TAKEN OFF AND RE-BLUED.

THERE ARE "ZERO" PROOF-MARKS, NOT ONE NAME, NOTHING BUT THE SERIAL NUMBER I GUESS WHICH IS 2800.

IT IS BRASS BREECH, WITH A IRON FALLING BLOCK, SINGLE SHOT, CHAMBER MEASURES .440, THE CARTIDGE RIM MEASURES .537. WHERE THE FALLING BLOCK LOCKS INTO THE LOWER TANG THE LOWER TANG IS STEEL, THAT WAS OVER-LAYED WITH BRASS TO CONTINUE THE BRASS BREECH AFFECT. THE BARREL IS OCTAGON, 28" ...FROM MEMORY. THE ONLY OTHER MARKINGS ARE ON THE REAR SIGHT FLIP UP SIGHT. LAYING DOWN THE SIGHT HAS A STAMP 100 - US, STAND THE REAR SIGHT UP AND THE LOWER OPENING IS STAMPED 200 - US, AND FINALLY THE TOP OF THE REAR SIGHT "V" IS STAMPED 500 - US. THIS IS IT FOR ANY MARKINGS ANYWHERE ON THIS RIFLE. THE GUN IS A RIM-FIRE ALSO, NOT A BLACK POWDER. DID I ADD TO THE PUZZLE THAT IT IS A RIM-FIRE.

ANY HELP IN ANY DIRECTION WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

THANK YOU EVERYONE, NEED HELP BAD ON THIS ODD ONE.....

KURT

http://s1256.photobu...BREECH%20RIFLE/

it most likely IS Black powder.. The original Metallic Cartidges WERE Rimfire, and used Black powder, the most famous of these were the Model 1860 "Henry" and the following Winchester 1866 "Yellowboy" both of which used the .44 Rimfire round. If you're a Gunsmith, then i would assume you have the basics, such as Cerrosafe available. Cast the Chamber, and compare your results with some of the older pre-20th Century BP Cartidges out there.