this_is_nascar

Why Are You in Favor of CCW in NJ?

Really? You saw a Mountain lion in NJ? I keep hearing reports to that effect. Wow.

Yes, I not only saw one, but it was very close to me for a brief amount of time. It was dusk and I had arrived home with groceries and my elder dog. I lifted her out of the car and she plopped down in the grass while I unloaded the groceries and brought them into the house. Once I finished, I went to collect my mail from the mailbox. And, while I was rifling through my mail, I was aware that I was relatively alone out in front of my house at dusk and then I heard a scratching noise, kind of, behind me. I immediately turned around and it was a mountain lion. And, yes, I know the difference between a mountain lion and a bobcat, etc. The noise I had heard was actually its claws on the pavement. So, this cat was very close to me behind me. It had its claws out. I assume that just like house cats, it could retract them. So, as I turned around and startled it, it bounded off so quickly. It appeared to be a young one. I don't have any real way to guess its size, but I would say it was about 85 pounds. That cat moved so quickly, I would not have been able to take a photo of it if I had had a camera up and ready to take it. And, given what I know about them from backpacking, etc., that cat would not have been that close to me with claws out for no reason. As I play it through my head, I think it was a younger one, perhaps just away from its mother and it was going after my elderly 35 pound dog, very fawnish looking in color, etc. and that when I turn around and faced it, it decided to quickly leave.. I would have NEVER have known it was even near me had I not had heard its claws. Ever since then, my thoughts toward nature have changed considerably. Had it had been in the field across the street and I had caught a fleeting glance of it in the grass, I would have been uncomfortable, but I would not have had the same feeling as I did being that it was so close to me.

Many of my friend's seemed to question what I had seen, however, there appear to be numerous sightings all over NJ, and there was that one that was hit with a car in Connecticut. Anyway, I know that it was one and that they are here.

I give (black) bears a healthy space, especially if I note cubs, but they don't frighten me the way the thought of a mountain lion does. And, it makes it worse that for the most part I and others cannot defend ourselves if we see one. And, I realize that it would be beneficial to have animals to cull the deer population, and in states where the big cats are much more plentiful, they are rarely seen and there is rarely a problem considering both the human and cat populations. I also realize that the chance of me ever seeing another one in the wild is probably slim to none. However, it still changes my relationship to the local flora and fauna, especially considering that there are a lot of children around. And, as I would like to believe that the cat was going for my dog, it was not too concerned that I was only about 15 feet away from my dog. When hunting, it singles one target out usually with others present. It is accustomed to the other "herd" animals to run away.

I would have nothing more than a healthy respect knowing that they were here if I was able to bring some kind of protection with me.

Wow. I do keep hearing of sightings in NJ.

I spent a lot of time in Mountain Lion country , did a few wilderness and OutwardBound courses. Of all the creatures you can run into they are the trickiest to deal with. Long guns are often useless since they are ambush predators. A knife in an ankle holder and/or larger bore revolver in an ankle holder is your best bet.I remember specificiall y being told a revolver was better because if they are on you may have to press the weapon right up into them.

The key with Mountain Lions you do see following you is scaring them before they decide to segue from stalking to pouncing. A warning shot , acting nuts screaming and puffing out your jacket with your arms to look big , are all good strategies for dealing with the ones you see.Whatever you do , don't run .

Add that to my list of reasons to CC in NJ , if Mountain Lions are going to be in the woods where I like to hike with my dogs and kids.