Sign in to follow this  
Ronald Silver

Can you upgrade Glocks yourself with aftermarket parts?

Just wondering if there are after market kits to upgrade glocks from gen 2 to gen 3 or gen 3 to gen 4

Thanks

I haven't seen any. To upgrade from a Gen3 to a Gen4 I believe you would have to replace the frame.

Gen 2 and 3 only the frames are different so no upgrade there. Gen 4 slide and frame different from Gen 2 and 3 so no upgrade there.

So the answer is no.

If you have specific things you'd like to change let's discuss it.

I like to purchase a longer barrel for now. Do I need to also purchase a longer slide or can the long barrel stick out?

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=923&CAT=240

Groups will not tighten up going from a 4" barrel to a 5" barrel. You gain velocity but not accuracy. You do get more practical accuracy if the sight radius is longer. Either way any Glock will be more accrate than majority of us. You will not see any difference shooting it off hand. If you go with the after market barrel of identical length you'll actually lose velocity because the Glock rifling gives a better seal than traditional rifling.

Groups will not tighten up going from a 4" barrel to a 5" barrel. You gain velocity but not accuracy. You do get more practical accuracy if the sight radius is longer. Either way any Glock will be more accrate than majority of us. You will not see any difference shooting it off hand. If you go with the after market barrel of identical length you'll actually lose velocity because the Glock rifling gives a better seal than traditional rifling.

I don't know if I agree with everything you've said. The polygonal rifling may increase velocity but I haven't been able to measure any beyond the standard deviation.

Secondly I shoot a KKM match barrel and it is certainly more accurate than a stock GLOCK barrel due to tighter lock-up. I've compared both barrels off of sand bags and that relates to more accuracy off handed as well. And if you practice you will notice it.

Just as an aside, I read some GLOCK promotional material today that claimed their Gen 4 Model 34 is capable of 2.5" groups at 25yds. This i have not ever been able to achieve with a GLOCK barrel but have been able to achieve with a KKM barrel.

I love my 34. You have to remember that they are combat handguns not target handguns.

And that's my point exactly. You can get a match barrel and it'll work fine. But it will never be as forgiving as an OEM barrel.

I see your tag line, you know the deal. I like to mod pistols but my defense guns are stock, stock, stock!