Sign in to follow this  
gunnarsport

Browning BPS or Ithaca 37?

As I have 3 handguns, I would like to purchase my first shotgun, mainly to do recreational trap shooting. I am a lefty and

have narrowed my choices down to the Browning BPS Trap or the Ithaca 37...both would be in 12 gauge.

Can can I get some comments from folks here who own both guns, or at least have experience shooting or handling them?

Which shotgun would be considered the better build quality and the most accurate and fun to shoot?

I have handled the Browning, but not the Ithaca.

Try to shoulder a M37 first. Test the fit of the buttstock compared to the BPS. If you are talking the BPS trap gun (with Monte Carlo stock) vs. a standard field M37, the BPS would be the better trap gun if it fits you correctly. I prefer the M37 for its simplicity and design, but the BPS is a solid shotgun as well. The M37 boasts the fewest parts of any pump shotgun made today. It's a simple yet robust design. The field version is a half-pound to 3/4 pound lighter than the BPS. Ithaca does make true trap guns in their M37, with fuller buttstocks as well as a couple choices for pattern percentage adjusted to POI. There are some Kings Ferry trap guns floating around as well, just might be tougher to find than an Ohio gun today: http://www.ithacagun.com/trap_gun.html

Used Ithaca's command a good price today. $300-$400 is the norm as Old School noted. I've seen some for more as well depending upon grade and gauge too. (Who can forget Ithaca's famous $1,000 Grade, $3,000 Grade & $5,000 Grade?) The older ones made in Ithaca, NY comand a bit more on the used market than those made in Kings Ferry, NY. Production today is out of Ohio.

Kudos to the folks at Ithaca for keeping the M37 alive.