Sign in to follow this  
Ruk

Atlantic County Firearms Training Facility - newb questions

I'm a newish resident of Atlantic County and a soon to be firearm owner and was hoping someone had some insight into the layout/atmosphere/anything else I should know about the facility. Their website is a bit scarce compared to those of other south jersey places. Thanks!

Not entirely sure but I know one of the Atlantic county ranges is only open to non LEO on weekends. If your close to Hammonton/Folsom, look at South Jersey Shooting Club in Winslow. It's right on the Camden county/Atlantic county line.

Right, that's the Atlantic County facility I'm talking about. I'm right outside of AC so Winslow is about 45 minutes which makes SJSC another good choice for me. What do you like about SJSC?

the Atlantic county range is only open to civilians on week ends. Membership was $35.00 and range fee is $10 a visit. You will need to take the NRA's "First Steps" class or have a certificate that you have passed the course to use the range. They do teach it there, check the schedule on the site. It is an open outdoor range, the people are nice and helpful. FWIW I also used Bob's Little Sporting Good store's range. That on is indoor and a lane is $20 or 25 and hour.

I got there around 10am and was able to park ok and there was a shooting lane or two open then but by noon when I was leaving people were waiting and the lot was packed. You may want to call them to get an idea of their slower times.

I would reccomend against the Atlantic County Range. As stated above it is only open for limited times and hours. The SO's roam about and question you about everything. I felt like I had to justify everything I brought with me. I did some holster draws and was told that since I'm not a police officer I have no need to draw from a holster. I went as a guest Of one of the SO's and will not join or go back.

I would reccomend South Jersey Shooting Club. It's got good facilities. It's a little more of a drive but well worth it.

There are some other indoor ranges up the parkway; Shore Shot, Brick Armory, that take about the same amount of time to drive to as Bobs. I have shot at Bobs, I have yet to check out the others. Just giving you some options.

Good luck and have fun.

I agree 100% with medicyeti, don't even think bring any questionable rifles at the range and that includes an ar with a forward grip or a saiga/Vepr rifles

cause most likely they will call EHTPD on you

The sad part is most of the times is that other members call the police cause a new guy has a questionable firearm

Same time I know other members shooting their saiga or psl rifles there without a problem

You are better off join another range in my opinion

my AC range experience was entirely different.. I went there often with AR15s.. AK variants.. AR in 308.. and drew from my holster all the time..

for the holster they require you to take a class.. why you ask? some people are pretty friggin dangerous with guns.. WAY more dangerous when you factor in a holster... they are simply trying to keep you from killing yourself or others by accident..

my first steps rifle class was like a whos who of military style rifles... I had one AR and one AK and the instructors were GREAT.. I literally love that place..

only drawback was the hours.. but it was cheap enough..

this was taken at the range..

saigaacrange.jpg

1) Awesome picture.

2) Thanks for the info. I don't plan on doing any rifle shooting (yet), just handguns and paper targets for now. It might be a good place to get my feet wet, then move on to bigger facilities once I get more agressive with my tastes.

Thanks again.

if you are just shooting handguns then even more the reason to go.. they have a few steel plate racks.. and other steel targets on the pistol range..

also the "holstering class" was only $5.. lol and we did a lot of fun stuff.. there is an older guy named Andy who is really nice.. I just felt like home there..

further.. just as a total side point.. how many PRO GUN activities does NJ provide? if you join and shoot ONE time there.. the small investment you make back into the community says a TON.. it says WE VALUE SHOOTING ACTIVITIES.. and you are essentially supporting the existence of the range.. I am in PA now.. but had I not moved I would still be a member..

Right, that's the Atlantic County facility I'm talking about. I'm right outside of AC so Winslow is about 45 minutes which makes SJSC another good choice for me. What do you like about SJSC?

There doesn't seem to be any self appointed know it Alls dictating rules. If its legal to shoot in NJ, you can shoot it there. I go a lot of weekday mornings and there are not too many people there.

On weekends I have seen a RSO who is easily identified with a bright colored vest out on the range, but again, not a ball buster with the rules. If you are interested in competing, there are events every weekend, and with the exception of rifle shoots held on their 100 and 300 yard ranges, held on a separate tactical range out back. It's also the home of Gun For Hire south. They don't schedule as many classes in Winslow as the north jersey ranges, but the do have some.

You can also bring guests.

Orientation is held every other Sunday check their web site for dates.

Hope to see you there!