fmtek

Are Springfield Socom 16 and Socom II NJ Legal?

Yep they are fine. Just curious as to why you worry about them being illegal with a 16" barrel though? Rifles need 16"+ OAL barrel and shotguns need 18"+ OAL barrels to be legal, my AR has a 14.5" barrel with a comp on it to bring the length up to a legal 16.1".

I have a M1A Scout Squad and love it. If you haven't already, make sure you try out the socom 2 in person. IMO, it is a nose heavy tactical mess with that heavy rail. if you want tactical, consider buying the standard or scout (18") version and putting a sage ebr stock on it. good luck with whatever you decide.

I have a M1A Scout Squad and love it. If you haven't already, make sure you try out the socom 2 in person. IMO, it is a nose heavy tactical mess with that heavy rail. if you want tactical, consider buying the standard or scout (18") version and putting a sage ebr stock on it. good luck with whatever you decide.

I have to agree with lunker here. You took the words right out of my mouth.

The longer the barrel the better. If you want to go smaller than the Scout Squad rifle then you would be looking for light and fast. The M1A is a main battle rifle. It is not light and fast, It is best at destroying cover and reaching out a long way with the power to devistate potential cover.

+1 to that. I tried both and went w/ the scout as well. Socom looks cool but didn't feel that great in my hands also the socoms don't have the standard mil. iron sights that the scouts and up have. Still both very cool guns the socom's are just designed for up close and personal combat and not necessarily long range fire. Either way the M1A will probably be the best gun you've ever bought. IMO

+1 to that. I tried both and went w/ the scout as well. Socom looks cool but didn't feel that great in my hands also the socoms don't have the standard mil. iron sights that the scouts and up have. Still both very cool guns the socom's are just designed for up close and personal combat and not necessarily long range fire. Either way the M1A will probably be the best gun you've ever bought. IMO

I'm a bit of an M14/M1A fanboy. I want to have every variant they've made in my collection, M1A, Mini14, Soccom, etc.

I own the socom16

I like the SOCOM 16". To me it is just a shorter barreled Scout Squad. I have shot one and was amazed how much more pronounced that muzzle blast is by the 2" barrel length difference. I think they have the same muzzle brake.