mmjr

Will any public ranges ever come to Somerset or Hunterdon County?

I'm itching to go shoot and man it kind of sucks to drive to PA, or all the way down to Lakewood, or towards North Jersey to get some shooting done at a public range! This is particularly true during the work week. Both Somerset County and Hunterdon County (that's were I'm at) are black holes for public shooting ranges - both indoor or out. If only someone could get back into the area to fill the void that Ray's left when they closed up shop... they'd get my business for sure!

I'm itching to go shoot and man it kind of sucks to drive to PA, or all the way down to Lakewood, or towards North Jersey to get some shooting done at a public range! This is particularly true during the work week. Both Somerset County and Hunterdon County (that's were I'm at) are black holes for public shooting ranges - both indoor or out. If only someone could get back into the area to fill the void that Ray's left when they closed up shop... they'd get my business for sure!

It is a bummer, isn't it. I'm in Mercer County. The closer you get to Trenton, fewer and far between the ranges are.

It is a bummer, isn't it. I'm in Mercer County. The closer you get to Trenton, fewer and far between the ranges are.

At least you're closer to Range 14 or The Firing Line in Philly than I am in Woodbridge.

I swear I've dropped just shy of $200 on range fees and rentals so far this year.

This is why I'm looking to join a club.

Doubtful. I know the taxes and red tape here in hillsborough is outrageous

Yeah, I used to live in the town next door a while back before I moved to Hunterdon County. One would think that the local government would loosen up the red tape and welcome a new source of revenue... but nope, they'll just raise our taxes to make up for it.

At least you're closer to Range 14 or The Firing Line in Philly than I am in Woodbridge. I swear I've dropped just shy of $200 on range fees and rentals so far this year. This is why I'm looking to join a club.

Between the driving time and range fees, it does get pricey if you don't member up or join a club. Maybe a club is the way to go.

As a side note, one of my last trips to the range in Easton was on a really nice Sunday. The range was pretty quiet during the mid-afternoon, which I found odd given that my last trip to Shore Shot turned into an hour and half wait. One of the people at the counter mentioned that in PA, a lot of folks just go outside and plink away on their property when it's nice out therefore no range trip required. Must be nice.

Join EFGA. You don't have to worry about stupid people at public ranges (although you still have to keep an eye open) and outrageous range fees.

If you're in Hunterdon County, depending, it's only 40mins away. And it's outdoor. And they have a 100yd rifle range. And 2 25yd pistol ranges. And a pit do run n gun. And it's only $60 a year.

And it's a win win if you still don't get it. :p

At least you're closer to Range 14 or The Firing Line in Philly than I am in Woodbridge.

I swear I've dropped just shy of $200 on range fees and rentals so far this year.

This is why I'm looking to join a club.

You're ONLY a few minutes from Old Bridge.......

And lots of friendly guys here are already members! Lots of good times and fun awaits: Steel, Shotgun, High Power, USPSA, IDPA, Black Powder, Bullseye, PPC, PCC, Smallbore, and just plain practice.

As gas approaches $4 a gallon, the dues becomes a little easier to swallow, especially considering you get TWO Ranges (Indoor and Outdoor). At your current rate of fees, you'll spend more per year than you would in dues to the Club, especially if you take all of that gas & tolls into consideration. And how much is your time worth?

Every second Sunday is the Sign-Up and Safety Check at the Indoor Range, 9:00 AM SHARP (so get there @ 8:40).

We (all of us here) can't be CRAZY.........

T

You're ONLY a few minutes from Old Bridge.......

And lots of friendly guys here are already members! Lots of good times and fun awaits: Steel, Shotgun, High Power, USPSA, IDPA, Black Powder, Bullseye, PPC, PCC, Smallbore, and just plain practice.

As gas approaches $4 a gallon, the dues becomes a little easier to swallow, especially considering you get TWO Ranges (Indoor and Outdoor). At your current rate of fees, you'll spend more per year than you would in dues to the Club, especially if you take all of that gas & tolls into consideration. And how much is your time worth?

Every second Sunday is the Sign-Up and Safety Check at the Indoor Range, 9:00 AM SHARP (so get there @ 8:40).

We (all of us here) can't be CRAZY.........

This is true. I'm considering joining either this week or next month. I only own a .22 ruger pistol at the moment. I, obviously, want to pick up another gun. But, what good is a gun if I don't have a good place to shoot it?

Some have suggested to me that OB is a poor choice because of expense, the 100 yard rifle range being too short for legit high powered rifles (which I don't own anyway), and the manner in which workhours are allocated (basically, that it is difficult to fulfil the hours and you wind up getting dinged for the bread..which would be tough on me right now)

However, considering the travel time and expenses, plus range fees and potential waiting time at the ranges down in Lakewood...I'm coughing up a good bit. And, when the summer comes, driving the parkway to go shoot for an hour....well, I'll be driving more than I'm shooting.

For me personally, I don't think OB is worth it. I dont think I could go enough to justify the expense nevermind the work days and whatnot. I was lucky to get into SCFGPA before the cutoff and its a very reasonable fee per year. I think the key is how many hours you really dedicate to shooting a week/month/year.

T

This is true. I'm considering joining either this week or next month. I only own a .22 ruger pistol at the moment. I, obviously, want to pick up another gun. But, what good is a gun if I don't have a good place to shoot it?

Some have suggested to me that OB is a poor choice because of expense, the 100 yard rifle range being too short for legit high powered rifles (which I don't own anyway), and the manner in which workhours are allocated (basically, that it is difficult to fulfil the hours and you wind up getting dinged for the bread..which would be tough on me right now)

However, considering the travel time and expenses, plus range fees and potential waiting time at the ranges down in Lakewood...I'm coughing up a good bit. And, when the summer comes, driving the parkway to go shoot for an hour....well, I'll be driving more than I'm shooting.

They have new people in charge of the Work-Hours Projects and make mass-emails to notify the membership that opportunities exist, so that "problem" has been resolved.

Waiting times? What waiting times????

All of that gas going to Lakewood can be used to buy more stuff (rifles, shotguns, pistols, ammo).

The Club Calendar lists all of the League Events which are OPEN and available for the PUBLIC to shoot at both the Indoor or Outdoor Ranges. You simply pay the non-member rate to come and shoot with us and check it all out! Bullseye, PPC at Indoor and Static Steel at the Outdoor all available to you with your .22 hand gun.

Lots of NJGF Members shoot there, and most of them are Members of the Range, so come on out sometime and Harry and Co. will make you feel right at home!

Dave

For me personally, I don't think OB is worth it. I dont think I could go enough to justify the expense nevermind the work days and whatnot. I was lucky to get into SCFGPA before the cutoff and its a very reasonable fee per year. I think the key is how many hours you really dedicate to shooting a week/month/year.

Yes and also consider that Old Bridge has a Shotgun Range, High Power Rifle League and all sorts of other interesting things (GREAT FUN) to get involved in, but it does take a commitment on your part to participate. It's a personal decision and I'll always respect your circumstances. SCF&GPA is a great place--I've shot there and felt quite welcome. You are indeed fortunate to belong. Continued success in the Hobby!

Dave

I am a member of SCFGPA - just curious, what do you mean by "the cutoff"? Did they stop accepting new members?

Rumor I heard at SCFGPA was that they where having a real bad time with their guest policy.

They had to shut down new membership till they figure out what to do. There's just too many people clogging up the place.

If you shoot there watch your Lead levels. I know someone who shoots there 3 days a week, who gets tested regularly for lead.

His levels are always high. Just be aware.

Rumor I heard at SCFGPA was that they where having a real bad time with their guest policy.

They had to shut down new membership till they figure out what to do. There's just too many people clogging up the place.

If you shoot there watch your Lead levels. I know someone who shoots there 3 days a week, who gets tested regularly for lead.

The new membership freeze had nothing to do with the guest policy. I have never had a problem being able to shoot when I go.

There was a lot of hoopla about the Guest Policy, but the motion was defeated. I have never waited to shoot, and the most people I have ever seen there(outside of a scheduled event) was 5.

Have spoken in the past to people about financing a in-door range here in Somerset Co.......the short of it is.......too much $ for air purification, rent, equipment and installation, licensing, permits,etc..............to make it profitable .....now an outdoor range, well.

Have spoken in the past to people about financing a in-door range here in Somerset Co.......the short of it is.......too much $ for air purification, rent, equipment and installation, licensing, permits,etc..............to make it profitable .....now an outdoor range, well.

There would still be some money to be made, but the right location at the right price would need to happen.

And then you'd still get those on this forum that would complain that they don't offer special discounts to forum members, etc. and then further complain about the cost per hour, the price of the guns, etc. It's really "our own fault" since you can read about where mail-order is the second coming of Christ all over this forum (and others like it). Some folks aren't happy unless they're complaining about something and it doesn't take a license to type on the internet.

Positive stories of good experiences at brick & mortar stores would fuel the entrepreneurial spirit thereby encouraging investment, as is the case with the Guild. So perhaps we as a group should tone it down on the complaining and boost-up more encouragement and support for the few places we have in NJ that are willing to put up with all of the regulation surrounding our beloved hobby....

Just sayin'.......

Could you explain the "lead levels" warning you posted. That's a pretty bold statement to make without backing it up in any way. Sounds a little fishy to me really don't buy into it whatsoever.

Could you explain the "lead levels" warning you posted. That's a pretty bold statement to make without backing it up in any way. Sounds a little fishy to me really don't buy into it whatsoever.

Yeah, please explain Heavopp.

When I go to SCFGA, for some reason I feel like the ventilation system is just 'ok' but that's just from the 'feel' if you will...sounds stupid I know. But for example, when shooting really smoky reloads, most of the time it takes time for the cloud of smoke to dissipate, when other ranges it dissipates fairly quickly. I know it's not a brand new high-tech range with state of the art vent systems but still..

I don't see it being THAT much worse than any other indoor range?

I don't know where you are located but there its Phillipsburg pistol club. I recently joined there and everyone i've meet is very friendly and helpful. Its a nice set up even tho it shows its age a little. Club dues are decently cheap.

The OP's post was about a public range here in the area.

I will say I did enjoy shooting at PPC the couple times I went though

And then you'd still get those on this forum that would complain that they don't offer special discounts to forum members, etc. and then further complain about the cost per hour, the price of the guns, etc. It's really "our own fault" since you can read about where mail-order is the second coming of Christ all over this forum (and others like it). Some folks aren't happy unless they're complaining about something and it doesn't take a license to type on the internet.

Positive stories of good experiences at brick & mortar stores would fuel the entrepreneurial spirit thereby encouraging investment, as is the case with the Guild. So perhaps we as a group should tone it down on the complaining and boost-up more encouragement and support for the few places we have in NJ that are willing to put up with all of the regulation surrounding our beloved hobby....

Just sayin'.......

How about the local ranges stop having terrible customer service and outrageous prices?

In my experience I've found that more and more I'm either ignored or being a burden on the shopkeeper. The onus is on THEM to keep me interested in buying their product and I for one am grateful to those who share their experience whether positive or negative.

BTW im all for supporting local dealers like Lous in raritan who make buying a pleasure.

What I said was 100% truth about a regular shooter who gets his lead levels checked regularly and is always high. How do I back it up????

As for the guest policy -- Like I said it was a rumor I heard -- I don't shoot there so I don't know 1st hand and I guess I shouldn't have said anything.

All I know is I can't join and this was the reason I was given to the membership freeze.

Unless he's casting his own bullets, I don't understand how he could possibly have enough contact with lead to raise his levels. It's not like lead is smeared on the benches or being expelled with the brass. Sounds like an underlying problem. Why is he being tested regularly to begin with?