mmjr

Will any public ranges ever come to Somerset or Hunterdon County?

It's a well-known fact that those that shoot lead bullets indoors often tend to incur increased lead levels as a result. Bullseye Shooters that fire lead usually get their levels checked and often suspend casting in favor of continuing participation in their shooting activities.

This is why most shooting enthusiasts that are really "into the sport" arrange for a membership at an outdoor range, where exposure is reduced.

It's a well-known fact that those that shoot lead bullets indoors often tend to incur increased lead levels as a result. Bullseye Shooters that fire lead usually get their levels checked and often suspend casting in favor of continuing participation in their shooting activities.

This is why most shooting enthusiasts that are really "into the sport" arrange for a membership at an outdoor range, where exposure is reduced.

I never knew that. Thanks for educating!

Dave, there is a guy that practices Bullseye shooting at OBRPC that wears a respirator, I have seen him a few times. No need to breathe the fumes when practicing. I prefer to shoot outdoors myself.

Mike,

I know the guy you're writing about, and there may be more than just one. If you shoot indoors several times a week it starts to become a concern. I prefer the outdoor range myself as well. Besides, blasting 12 ga. holes in the ceiling could get old real fast, lol!

A friend and mentor, who was also a PA State Police Swat/Firearms instructor, advised me to be sure to not drink at the indoor range and to wash my face and hands after shooting, put some water in my mouth and rinse it out as soon as I was finished shooting. He said that several times he had suffered from high lead levels in his blood stream due to a lot of indoor shooting and breathing in the fine lead particles.

The OP's post was about a public range here in the area.

I will say I did enjoy shooting at PPC the couple times I went though

I realize that but public ranges are expencive. Clubs seem like they cost alot but arent that bad if you think about it. The only free range is off 78 in clintol but thats shotgin and rimfire only.

Unless he's casting his own bullets, I don't understand how he could possibly have enough contact with lead to raise his levels. It's not like lead is smeared on the benches or being expelled with the brass. Sounds like an underlying problem. Why is he being tested regularly to begin with?

Bullseye shooter -- Wears a respirator but I believe a lot of the guys who shoot bullseye at SCFG wear one.

He is a reloader, wears surgical gloves when handling lead -- Does not and never has cast his own lead.

Remember lead builds up in the body over time and he does have some years under his belt --

He always tells me to wear a hat while shooting indoors -- the #1 place for lead dust to enter your body is through your respiratory system -- #2 place is thru hair follicles, or in my case, my bald head

My son shoots Youth Small bore at Old Bridge -- Great ventilation system there but they still had a big talk about lead control in the kids --

Must wear pants and a full sleeved shirt -- wash with cold water and a special, heavy metal removing soap, immediately after leaving the range. Ideally clothes are for range only , removed before getting in the car to prevent transfer to car seats, clothes washed separately.

Lead never leaves the body, just be smart about your exposure,

Jer

For me personally, I don't think OB is worth it. I dont think I could go enough to justify the expense nevermind the work days and whatnot. I was lucky to get into SCFGPA before the cutoff and its a very reasonable fee per year. I think the key is how many hours you really dedicate to shooting a week/month/year.

If you are using it just as a range, then yes, it is harder to justify. If you are shooting any of the events it becomes much much easier. As a member I save 20 dollars per match, min 4 matches a month, 12 months a year.

-- Henry

If you are using it just as a range, then yes, it is harder to justify. If you are shooting any of the events it becomes much much easier. As a member I save 20 dollars per match, min 4 matches a month, 12 months a year.

-- Henry

I absolutely understand the benefits. I was hist speaking about my needs.

I've never known that about indoor ranges. I've shot indoors maybe twice. It does make sense though being that it's enclosed. Appologies, Heavyopp

No Worries!!

Back to the topic... I used to shoot at Rays too. I spent a lot of time there when I was in my early 20's some 20 years ago. It was 15 minutes down 22.

I also remember an indoor range in Hillsborough on 206 just after the sharp bend in the road. I went there quite a few times also.

We also used to shoot a lot at a place called the pig farms in greenbrook. It was like 300 acres of woods - Nobody ever bothered us.

A few years ago I was a member at Langhorne rod and gun in Pa. It just turned out to be too much of a ride to go often enough to justify the expense. 1 hour each way.

After Langhorne I started shooting at Clinton WMA. I could be there in 20 minutes. Shotgun and rimfire rifle only. We've put thousands of shotgun shells downrange and plenty of .22 too.

Just this weekend I joined Old Bridge. Pricey, yes, but hopefully the outdoor and indoor ranges will be worthwhile. Only time will tell if it will be worth the cost for me.

Jer