NJDrew1

Canned Menendez Response UN Arms Trade Treaty

Dear Mr.Auletta:

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns regarding the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty (ATT). I appreciate hearing your view on this important matter and having the opportunity to respond.

As your United States Senator,I defend the rights of citizens to use firearms responsibly for recreational purposes or to protect one'shome and family. At the same time, I support efforts to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and those who seek to disrupt the rule of law.

The largely unregulated and often irresponsible trade in conventional weapons is causing a dangerous increase in the trafficking and distribution of weapons to rogue states, terrorist groups, and factions seeking to unsettle regions. In defense of our national security, the United States must continue to support effective action to control the international transfer of arms.

On October 30, 2009, U.N.members voted in favor of working towards an Arms Trade Treaty. At this point, there is no text for the Treaty, as Member States are still in the process of holding preparatory committee meetings to discuss possible provisions for inclusion. The most recent preparatory committee meeting was held in July 2011, and there is one more scheduled for February 2012 before a final treaty is drafted at the UN conference on the ATT in the summer of 2012.

The essence of ATT is to raise international standards on arms transfers so that no country will allow individuals operating under its jurisdiction to sell arms intended to perpetuate terrorism and fuel atrocities. ATTis not expected to affect domestic possession or domestic transfer of conventional weapons.

Asa member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, please be assured that I will continue to monitor the progress of this treaty, and keep your views in mind should the Arms Trade Treaty come before the Senate for consideration.

On this, as with any other issue, there are many different views. Restassured that I will keep your views in mind

ATTis not expected to affect domestic possession or domestic transfer of conventional weapons.

This is his 'escape hatch' word ....."not expected". So what in essence he is saying that it is 'not expected', but it could happen and he is not aware of it. Not expected or not being aware of something does not make it set in stone that it won't happen.

So if he votes for it and it just 'happens' to make domestic gun ownership severely restricted or outlawed altogether....'it wasn't his "fault" '. He was not expecting it. They have a word for that.....Plausible denial .....

Anyone feel warm and fuzzy now?

This is his 'escape hatch' word ....."not expected". So what in essence he is saying that it is 'not expected', but it could happen and he is not aware of it. Not expected or not being aware of something does not make it set in stone that it won't happen.

So if he votes for it and it just 'happens' to make domestic gun ownership severely restricted or outlawed altogether....'it wasn't his "fault" '. He was not expecting it. They have a word for that.....Plausible denial .....

Anyone feel warm and fuzzy now?

I take that "not expected" and the use of the word "domestic" as meaning guns and ammo made here in the United States will not be restricted from sale here.

Since this is an international arms trade treaty, Iam sure imports/exports of guns and ammo would likely be severely restricted if it were to pass!!! Of course Senator Menendez fails to mention anything about that and really doesn't care if Sig, Glock, H&K, Beretta, CZ, Fiocchi, PPU, and many other foreign manufacturers wouldn't be able to import some or all of their guns/ammo into the United States!

I too have a collection of emails that are "canned responses" from Sen. Menendez. I'm convinced he has some type of letter generator software that's tuned to spit out a response to the issue at hand.