Sign in to follow this  
Clintoon Eastwood

Smith and Wesson m&p 15-22 barrel question

Gentlemen, I was wondering if its legal to put a barrel shroud on a NJ complaint S&W m&p 15-22. I just don't like the basic barrel without a flash hider, Im sorry if my terminology on these parts are incorrect so please feel free to correct me. This is what it looks like

http://www.tacticool22.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=8

barrel attachment is OK as long as

*it is permanent as in can not be removed to expose threads

*is not functional suppressor

*it is not a flash hider

but a little advice.. ar15 is nimble.. fast.. and light.. dont bolt some useless boat anchor to the end of it..

things do not "look cool" when they impede function..

This is the 15-22. It's extremely nimble, fast and light. I wouldn't put a functionless piece of jewelry on it.

True, true, I really just don't like the barrel naked like that, it Only weighs 4 oz and around $50. I'm open to suggestions and I will take all of them as other options too.

Another thing, what is a good scope/reflex/holo under $100 and pretty decent, just for plinking.

The company selling it claims that,

"So the hand guard end cap needs to come off. The barrel is free floating anyway and will not be harmed by removing the end cap. Groups are typically more consistant after the end cap is removed."

"Some users have reported tighter groups due to better barrel harmonics with the increased weight of about 4 Oz."

Is this possibly true?

"So the hand guard end cap needs to come off. The barrel is free floating anyway and will not be harmed by removing the end cap. Groups are typically more consistant after the end cap is removed."

"Some users have reported tighter groups due to better barrel harmonics with the increased weight of about 4 Oz."

Is this possibly true?

no...

The 15-22 comes free-floated(if you remove the end-cap). Adding anything that touches the barrel(especially something that attaches with a set screw) will never be more accurate than a free-floated barrel.

The 15-22 comes free-floated(if you remove the end-cap). Adding anything that touches the barrel(especially something that attaches with a set screw) will never be more accurate than a free-floated barrel.

It's still free floated with the end cap, isn't it? It might touch the barrel but not much. The cap clips into the hand guard.

The set screw will bite into the barrel's finish creating a potentional rust point.

It's still free floated with the end cap, isn't it? It might touch the barrel but not much. The cap clips into the hand guard.

The set screw will bite into the barrel's finish creating a potentional rust point.

what set screw?

you want honesty right?

1) putting anything that resembles a fake silencer on a 22 made to look like an AR15.. is well to be honest.. ridiculous...

2) if you are truly worried about things like free floating handguards pick a better platform.. get a high quality bolt gun...

my fiance was shooting some kind of bolt gun looked like some military trainer in 22.. that thing ROCKED... was insanely accurate out to 100..

what set screw? The set screw that keeps the fake silencer shroud thing from falling off. That is how it is attached to the barrel.

you want honesty right?

1) putting anything that resembles a fake silencer on a 22 made to look like an AR15.. is well to be honest.. ridiculous... I agree.

2) if you are truly worried about things like free floating handguards pick a better platform.. get a high quality bolt gun... I'm not worried. I don't think that the end cap thing has any effect on accuracy.

my fiance was shooting some kind of bolt gun looked like some military trainer in 22.. that thing ROCKED... was insanely accurate out to 100.. I shot a CZ bolt .22 rifle with scope and could hit quarter sized groups at 50 yards.. But that was with a scope on a rest. I like to think that the primary source of inaccuracy is the shooter not the gun.

what set screw?

you want honesty right?

1) putting anything that resembles a fake silencer on a 22 made to look like an AR15.. is well to be honest.. ridiculous...

2) if you are truly worried about things like free floating handguards pick a better platform.. get a high quality bolt gun...

my fiance was shooting some kind of bolt gun looked like some military trainer in 22.. that thing ROCKED... was insanely accurate out to 100..

Thanks for the honesty Sir. I'm fairly new, so anything you gentlemen suggest, I will look at and analyze. If you could please give me a name for the military trainer bolt gun I would appreciate that.

Also I'm really looking for a 22 that is in an AR 15 or M16 platform but has good credentials like the smith & Wesson m&p 15-22.

The 15-22 is a heck of a lot of fun. Throw on a cheap red dot and you can hit 6 inch circle targets at 50 yards all day long. My 15-22 is awesome; no problems at all. I shoot at playing cards at 50 yards leaning on a table and hit about 50% of my shots on the card. It operates the as an AR15.

The 15-22 is a heck of a lot of fun. Throw on a cheap red dot and you can hit 6 inch circle targets at 50 yards all day long. My 15-22 is awesome; no problems at all. I shoot at playing cards at 50 yards leaning on a table and hit about 50% of my shots on the card. It operates the as an AR15.

Is your 15-22 a smith & Wesson? You have pics?

Thanks for the honesty Sir. I'm fairly new, so anything you gentlemen suggest, I will look at and analyze. If you could please give me a name for the military trainer bolt gun I would appreciate that.

Also I'm really looking for a 22 that is in an AR 15 or M16 platform but has good credentials like the smith & Wesson m&p 15-22.

there is nothing wrong with a 15-22.. I am not personally a fan of the 22.. but that is just preference... it is just not for me.. with that said here is the situation.. a gun is a tool.. right tool for the right job...

a semi auto AR style rifle chambered in 22 is going to likely be both fun and cheap to shoot.. BUT we are talking grab a bunch of ammo.. go out and blast through it (because it is cheap)... I have seen various 22 bolt guns shoot very tight groups.. I can not offer advice on that because it is not within my realm of knowledge...

point being..

a fun plinker to blast cheap ammo with - 15-22 is fine

a more accurate cheap ammo gun - higher end 22 bolt gun

the reason I do not personally choose to shoot 22 is that I fail to see it as an effective caliber.. so I may shoot slightly less but I focus on things like 223, 7.62x39 (which is pretty cheap), 308, etc.... for me personally I do not see the value in 22, but don't knock anyone who enjoys them...

my latest AR weighs next to nothing and have almost no recoil... ammo is cheap enough for me.. so that is currently getting most of the love..

one last thing.. before you fall down the "accessory hole" where you bolt all kinds of random shit to your gun..

decide what you want to do with the gun....

then pick the gun (caliber, platform, etc..)

THEN decide what additional accessories you need to accomplish the goal..

that way the things that you add to the gun actually make it BETTER...

ex:

I want to be able to shoot far distances rapidly and accurately..

I know that 308 will shoot far.. and I know that an AR shoots pretty fast.. so I will buy an AR in 308

I now have this AR in 308.. a bipod would make the gun easier to stabilize and a magnified scope will make hitting the target easier..

so now I have a large caliber semi auto rifle that is stable and can engage targets that are far away.. exactly what I set out to do..as opposed to just throwing parts at the gun..

you can buy things for "look" but I strongly advise against it.. a gun is an operational piece of equipment.. a situation where function truly trumps form..

the best LOOKING gun is one that is tailored to the operator and performs well when used..

Once again thank you. I'm trying to talk the wife into shooting with me, my main reason for the 15-22, less recoil. I'm most definetly getting a 223 and the 22 I really want a HENRY lever action for myself.

MmMm. I've been lusting after one of those Henry or Marlin lever actions myself.

Once again thank you. I'm trying to talk the wife into shooting with me, my main reason for the 15-22, less recoil. I'm most definetly getting a 223 and the 22 I really want a HENRY lever action for myself.

save yourself the money and build a mid length gas system AR15.. the recoil is virtually nonexistent.. the accuracy will be worth it.. and you wont look at the 15-22 years from now and wonder why you have it...

a 22 is a great entry level gun.. and MANY enthusiasts enjoy them.. but they (for me at least) have no function beyond bringing a VERY timid shooter on board.. most people can handle an AR15.. ANYONE can handle a mid length gas system AR15.. I shot some really strong groups with mine today.. pictures coming..

save yourself the money and build a mid length gas system AR15.. the recoil is virtually nonexistent.. the accuracy will be worth it.. and you wont look at the 15-22 years from now and wonder why you have it...

a 22 is a great entry level gun.. and MANY enthusiasts enjoy them.. but they (for me at least) have no function beyond bringing a VERY timid shooter on board.. most people can handle an AR15.. ANYONE can handle a mid length gas system AR15.. I shot some really strong groups with mine today.. pictures coming..

Sweet, do you any recommendations for a mid length AR 15? I know there are tons of them out there. I just got a catalog from rock river arms and they have a few nice ones. I know I'm gonna get one soon, but I'm still pricing it out, I'm trying to spend below $1000, I was really looking at the Smith & Wesson Mp15 sport around $700, then in the future I'm going to build my own.

While I can appreciate Vlad's desire to get you to build an AR, they are definitely heavier than the 15-22. My wife has held my mid-length lightweight AR and has no desire to shoot it, whereas she LOVES sending rounds downrange through the 15-22. She is recoil-shy as well, and the blast that comes out of my AR is far more than she cares to deal with. The 15-22 is also going to be much much cheaper to shoot. Going further, where do you plan on shooting centerfire? I shoot rimfire for free at the state's WMA ranges all day long. In order to shoot centerfire I have to go into the 100yd tunnel at my home range, drive to Easton to use their range, pay to go to a public range or R14, or be guested into another private range.

If you were to go the AR route, buying it complete will save you money if you just want an AR. If you want to combine a specific set of parts according to your tastes, building it will save you money. Since you're new to the game I would recommend buying an M&P15 or similar rifle, shoot it, and figure out what parts(if any) you might want to change in the future. Once you have a good idea as to what type of stuff you'd want to add, sell the M&P and build the rifle that you want from the ground up.

recoil and sound are entirely subjective.. some people will not shoot ANY guns.. some people would never handle anything more than a BB gun.. obviously if she is terrified of guns then maybe an AR is a deal breaker.. but my AR is a little over 7lbs (without optic) a 15-22 is a little over 5lbs... so sure there is a 2lb difference which might be a deal breaker?

to be clear.. the ONLY reason I suggested you build an AR is because I have purchased guns off the shelf and after learning the ease in assembly really kicked myself..

you learn the gun inside and out..

you get to pick every single part..

for me.. it is the only way to go.. but as j0n said.. certainly not for everyone.. ARs can be loud.. but that is all psychological.. sound will not hurt you as long as you have hearing protection on..

While I can appreciate Vlad's desire to get you to build an AR, they are definitely heavier than the 15-22. My wife has held my mid-length lightweight AR and has no desire to shoot it, whereas she LOVES sending rounds downrange through the 15-22. She is recoil-shy as well, and the blast that comes out of my AR is far more than she cares to deal with. The 15-22 is also going to be much much cheaper to shoot. Going further, where do you plan on shooting centerfire? I shoot rimfire for free at the state's WMA ranges all day long. In order to shoot centerfire I have to go into the 100yd tunnel at my home range, drive to Easton to use their range, pay to go to a public range or R14, or be guested into another private range.

If you were to go the AR route, buying it complete will save you money if you just want an AR. If you want to combine a specific set of parts according to your tastes, building it will save you money. Since you're new to the game I would recommend buying a M&P15 or similar rifle, shoot it, and figure out what parts(if any) you might want to change in the future. Once you have a good idea as to what type of stuff you'd want to add, sell the M&P and build the rifle that you want from the ground up.

Thank you j0n,

I'm definitely getting the m&p 15-22 to get the wife off my back and at the same time, maybe she will return the favor and get me an AR S&W 15 sport for my bday in September, I know the 15 sport is on the lower end of the spectrum but I gotta get her warmed up slowly. Also she shot the 15-22 at NJFG in Easton, I think we can shoot center fire at rtsp also.

"So the hand guard end cap needs to come off. The barrel is free floating anyway and will not be harmed by removing the end cap. Groups are typically more consistant after the end cap is removed."

Is this possibly true?

Is it possible? Yes, it COULD act as a harmonic dampener. Is it probable? No I have yet to see a rifle that didn't need and adjustable dampener to get the benefit, since the harmonic frequency is ammo dependent.

So no, but there's a real reason why not.