DirtyDigz

NJ Biathlon at Cherry Ridge 6/17/2012

Just found out about these competitions and registered for the 6/17 one at Cherry Ridge. Anyone else competing that day, or have done a similar event before?

http://www.njbiathlon.org/index.html

Summer Biathlon is a copyright protected name referring to the sport that combines running and shooting. The standard race distance is 5 kilometers. The rifles are .22 caliber and the standard shooting distance is 50 meters. Summer Biathlon races use the same format as the Winter Olympic sport, except that running is substituted for cross-country skiing. Competitors, starting in waves of 2 or 3 per minute, begin by running a loop that brings them to the shooting range. They lay down, pick up the rifle, shoot 5 shots at the metal knock-down targets, jump up (often in jubilation after hitting all five), walk to the end of the range, and continue the running. They run another loop and come back to the range. This time it is five shots from the standing position. The race ends with a dash to the finish. Scoring is based on the competitors' total time, which includes the number of penalty loops run for each mis

So I ran the biathlon today and had a great time, although I'm sure the fact that the event took up about 8 lanes on the rifle range for the entire morning pissed some of the Cherry Ridge regulars off. My compliments to the organizers, they ran a great, low key event and everyone was very friendly. All I had to bring was myself and some running shoes, everything else was provided and there was ample time to practice both prone and standing shooting both before the race and after. I ended up getting 3 out of 5 shots both prone and standing and got 1st place in my division (Men's Master "Sport"). No one was more suprised than me!