dajonga

Browning Buckmark Rifles

Not the warmest person in the world.

Called me a liar to my face when I told him you can get a brand new model 60 from walmart in PA for $160 while he was trying to sell a used one in average shape for $200.

All he ever wants to sell if what he has..ask him about a brand he doesn't carry and all the sudden its "junk"

I'm late to this thread, but I have a Buckmark Sporter rifle (the one pictured -- iron sights, narrower tapered barrel). It's over-priced for a .22 rifle, but I got it anyway, mostly because I get a kick out of it. It's the big brother to my buckmark pistol. So, to me it was worth the money.

It's a nice gun, but there are some things about the design that you just need to accept. First, it's really just a buckmark pistol wtih a stock and a longer barrel. So, it has some of the inherent distastes for certain brands of .22 LR that most buckmarks have. My buckmarks hate loading winchester, refuse to fire remington, tolerate Federal Bulk and CCI Blazer (but Blazer is dirty), enjoy CCI SV/MM, and absolutely love Wolf MT. Wolf MT is also dirty but the feeding and accuracy are the best out of every ammo I've tried.

It's comfortable, but length of pull is a little short for my taste. Wear safety glasses while firing because the design lends itself to getting a little powder in your face from time to time. Keep your face a safe distance from the slide unless you want your nose broken. Don't plan on making many modifications - if you want to mod, get a 10/22. It has a scope rail, but the iron sights are perfect for my purposes, and the red and green fiber-optics are neat.

Magazine interchangability with my buckmark pistol is a plus. Random Note: Those silly magazine loaders are a fantastic addition to the range bag if you have any buckmarks.

Biggest problem I have is probably a manufacturing flaw specific to my rifle -- the slide hold-back lever has a bit too much upward play, so when the mag is empty, the lever can sometimes get pushed upward too far to naturally fall back down when a new mag is put in and the slide is pulled back. Not a huge deal to me. I don't mind popping the lever back down as I pull the slide back. I'm actualy considering removing the lever entirely. Just check that lever on whatever rifle you look at.

I'd give it 8/10 overall -- it's a good (if expensive) little plinker. Compact gun. Easy for the kids to handle, and lots of fun.

EDIT: Added more about ammo.