Liquor is expensive on the boat, real drinkers will try to smuggle their own alcohol on board past security (who will try to take it away for the duration). Heard the folks in the next cabin over bitching about this.

If you stop in St Thomas you get a duty free allowance of 5 cartons of cigarettes per person (2 cartons elsewhere abroad) from US Customs. Even if you don't smoke this is a no brainer.

We were on Oasis of the Seas for Easter Week. They actually check you on and off the boat with a facial geometry scan (biometric scan) which can be annoying as it doesn't always match the first time.

On of our cruises, I stocked up on liquor for the family and friends, I think I had something like 12 bottles. Of course it's ridiculously cheap, and if your on an island, the ship's gift shop will match the price if you take a picture of the shelf price tag on your phone. Of course the gift shop lady said "you can buy as much as you want, just report it on the form!" (assuming the ship had some sort of exception.. i know.. i was probably drinking at the time)

So when we filled out the customs declarations, I wrote down everything I had.

So we get to the officer in NYC the conversation goes something like this:

CBP: "12 bottles?!" "why did you write 12 bottles on here?!"

Me: "I didn't want to lie... the gift shop lady told me to just write it on the form"..

CBP: *grumbles* *facepalms*

CBP: "your supposed to pay duty on that much"..

Me: "Ut-oh.. how much is it?" *reaches for wallet*

CBP: *grumbles*

CBP: "are you traveling with anyone else that can declare some of this?"

Me: "Yeah, but she has like 12 bottles too"

CBP: *pauses and ponders*

CBP: *Crosses a big X on form and hands passport back*

CBP: "Have a nice day sir!"

So YMMV, lol.. I guess I got lucky there. I tried searching for some kind of Duty required chart, but never really got a clear answer as to how much it would have been. I'm assuming they give some lead way to stupid cruisers who are using it for their own use, as opposed to like pulling up with a pallet full of grey goose or something that could be considered commercial.

Does anyone know where to find the actual duty that is required?

On of our cruises, I stocked up on liquor for the family and friends, I think I had something like 12 bottles. Of course it's ridiculously cheap, and if your on an island, the ship's gift shop will match the price if you take a picture of the shelf price tag on your phone. Of course the gift shop lady said "you can buy as much as you want, just report it on the form!" (assuming the ship had some sort of exception.. i know.. i was probably drinking at the time)

Me: "I didn't want to lie... the gift shop lady told me to just write it on the form"..

So YMMV, lol.. I guess I got lucky there. I tried searching for some kind of Duty required chart, but never really got a clear answer as to how much it would have been. I'm assuming they give some lead way to stupid cruisers who are using it for their own use, as opposed to like pulling up with a pallet full of grey goose or something that could be considered commercial.

Lmao Thats awesome!

My wife and I went on a cruise for our honeymoon. Had a great time. We flew down to Miami and got picked up by a porche cayanne tt. Then we were taken to the exotic car dealership. I rented a brand new bright yellow convertible corvette. The exotic dealership delivered our luggage to the hotel. We cruised around south beach that night and the next day. The exotic car company then met us at our hotel and delivered our luggage to the ship so we could take the vette right to the port. We cruised carnival and hit grand Turk, half moon cay and Nassau. We had an absolute blast. One little piece of advice is on the ship but the soda pass. It's worth it's weight in gold.

These guys were great and made my time in Miami easy.

http://www.tolsyluxurycars.com/

This document seems to cover everything:

http://www.cbp.gov/l...regulations.pdf

Thanks!

looks like I woulda owed them a big ole 4 bucks.. and 72 pieces of paper probably... seems like the CBP at cruise ports are accountants more than law enforcement..

This is not really unusual for the CBP inspectors. Its a pita for them to fill out the form and collect the duty unless its substantial. On maybe a dozen cruises I had to pay for my excess cigarettes once and it was about $1.80 a carton. You can often get your booze, smokes, watches, and other cheaper in some ports than you can on the ship. St Maarten is one one these places. A few year ago got his and her Movados (the real thing not Moovados) gold plated case, leather strap, MSRP at the time $425 each for $300 for the pair.

Its been over a year since ive been on carnival, but they would only give you soda by the glass, not the whole can, and at the bar only last time i went. If your not drinking alcohol heavily, its probably worth it, but I was gettin rum and cokes like they where free (ouch.. my wallet).. so at that point, the soda is free if you pay for the liquior :-P

This is not really unusual for the CBP inspectors. Its a pita for them to fill out the form and collect the duty unless its substantial. On maybe a dozen cruises I had to pay for my excess cigarettes once and it was about $1.80 a carton. You can often get your booze, smokes, watches, and other cheaper in some ports than you can on the ship. St Maarten is one one these places. A few year ago got his and her Movados (the real thing not Moovados) gold plated case, leather strap, MSRP at the time $425 each for $300 for the pair.

Unless they changed it, Carnival would price-match for booze and cigarettes if you could find a lower price on an island. They just needed a picture of the price tag and what store it was at. I thought that was cool because it saves the trouble of lugging it around in the heat. They are big with those "personal shopper" guys.. and they must make tons of money on it.