Steve_G

Preparing my shopping list to get started

Along with my 9mm AR build this Fall and Winter, I also plan to start reloading. I will be starting with 9mm and adding .45 and .40 eventually. Not too concerned with rifle at this point. I have been doing a little research and this is the list I have come up with. Any input on something I have missed or solid reasons to avoid something on my list is welcome.

Anyone who has the Hornady LNL AP, What shell plate does it come with?

Press: Hornady LNL AP

Shell Plates: #8 (9mm), #10 (.40), #45 (.45)

Die sets: 9mm, .40, .45

RCBS Lockout Die

RCBS 1500 scale

Thumlers Model B tumbler

RCBS Digital Caliper

Lyman inertia bullet puller

Bullets, primers, powder, brass

ABC's of Reloading

Reloading manuals - Hornady, Lyman, Lee, etc.

I have heard that people who have had the powder cop die and tried the lockout die change the the Lock out die, I'm still using the powder cop being I have yet to try the lockout..

As far as primer tubes, get a bunch, it's about the only thing that will slow me down on my progressive.

As far as books I'd recommend the Lyman's #49..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have heard that people who have had the powder cop die and tried the lockout die change the the Lock out die, I'm still using the powder cop being I have yet to try the lockout..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That looks interesting. Seems better than watching the white ring of the powder cop, which you could easily miss by turning your head for a second.

Anyone who has the Hornady LNL AP, What shell plate does it come with?

None. However it does come with both Large and Small primer adaptors, Also the powder drop comes with pistol and rifle metering inserts.

Get the Lockout die instead of Powder cop. It will lock the press up for an under or overcharge. It saved my bacon more than once.

Since you are doing 3 calibers get extra die bushings. Makes caliber change MUCH easier/faster. Just leave the dies in the bushings and change out the whole set. Midway sells a 10 pack.

Extra shell plate springs are a good idea. I mauled the first one early and now keep a few spare just in case. Eventually you will want to get some spare parts so that when you break something in the middle of a run you are not shut down. I keep spare pawl pins, extra decapping pins, spare springs for powder measure and primer feed.

I also found that this helps speed setup http://www.midwayusa.com/product/154534/hornady-die-locking-ring-wrench

Although not needed, the Lyman case gauges help to make sure that all your rounds are within Saami specs for length and diameter.

Ha! i thought this was going to save me money!

Priced everything out and it's going to be north of 2k if I buy it all at once. Then again, that's only 10 cases of 9mm or 5 cases of 45. I'm going to have to come up with a serious sales pitch for the boss lady.

Ha! i thought this was going to save me money!

Priced everything out and it's going to be north of 2k if I buy it all at once. Then again, that's only 10 cases of 9mm or 5 cases of 45. I'm going to have to come up with a serious sales pitch for the boss lady.

I'm in the starting phase of reloading myself. There is definitely an investment being made up front, however I'm looking at the long term. I go to the range at least once a week on average. Once I'm up in running, I should be able to supply my "habit" for around 1/2 the cost of name brand ammo. Not to mention the benefit of being able to dial in rounds for each firearm.