jm3isme

AR-10 scope suggestions/opinions

well first off, im loving this site, and im ashamed i've never heard of it, or been a part of it before the past month or two, but you guys (and possibly girls) are great with your comments and suggestions, help and even pictures!!!!

anyways..... i have a Rock River Arms lar-8 .308 on order, this is a flat top AR rifle with a 20" barrel... now im asking people that have something similar (or the same) to suggest scopes... im leaning towards a Nikon M-308 BDC (bullet drop compensator) 4-16x42, but im open to ideas because i have months to do research, since Rock River Arms gave me a "5 month" backorder when i ordered it in May.

Thanks, Joey

I don't know exactly the confirguration of your rifle but I've been a big proponent of Sightron lately. Check out their site.

I shoot a 24" SS barrel 223 and I like the Sightrton alot. They are affectionately called the poor mans Nightforce. Good Jap optics not Chinese and clear as a bell. Target turrets and Incredibly repeatable(very important) You move that puppy up 8 or 10 clicks and when you come back down you are exactly the same spot.

Now no BDC though, But I like tape on my stock with hold over just like the big boys do oh yeah and the old guys too.

I don't have a scope suggestion, but do have a question. Have you looked elsewhere for the rifle? Perhaps it is my need for immediate (or fairly immediate anyways) gratification, but I can't imagine waiting six months for a production made gun. I would bite my lip for something fully custom, but there are Rock River rifles out there. Even if you paid $100-$150 more, would five or six months (manufacturers always lowball wait times) of shooting be worth the extra money? Anyway, just a thought.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Rifles/BI.aspx?Keywords=rock+river+308

Why the rock river with the fal mags? At this point with a .308 ar, the dpms/knights pattern mags have won the magazine fight. Plus they aren't known for having a high rate of feeding issues like the bar-10/lar-8, and they aren't $55 a pop like the rra branded stuff that's legal here. (operating under the theory the rra sourced mags give you a better chance of no problems).

You can also probably find one in stock someplace right now for the price of the lar-8.

Btw from experience, rra is VERY optimistic on wait times.

well if you must know why the waiting, im saving alot of money by buying the rifle from my friend.. his father owns a range/store and im getting it at cost, and i worked the cost off by topsoiling thier front yard and grading it.. so it didnt cost me but a few hours of my time and some topsoil...not to mention i got some options from rra added to it, so technically its not a shelf rifle.... so it was an easy trade ;)

as for my budget, im thinkinig $500+-

well if you must know why the waiting, im saving alot of money by buying the rifle from my friend.. his father owns a range/store and im getting it at cost, and i worked the cost off by topsoiling thier front yard and grading it.. so it didnt cost me but a few hours of my time and some topsoil...not to mention i got some options from rra added to it, so technically its not a shelf rifle.... so it was an easy trade ;)

as for my budget, im thinkinig $500+-

Sounds like a good deal on the rifle.

yes, i do believe im getting a good deal, so im happy, and yes the anticipation is killing me but i already bought 2 other rifles in the mean time to help ease the pain of waiting hahahahah

it'll be more or recreation and target shooting rifle.. im not a competition shooter or anything, and i rarely go to a rifle range, the kinda shooting we do is farms and gravel pits hahahahaha but i'll start to do some research on Vortex scopes..

the thing that was nice about the Nikon M-308 is that it comes with the rings and mount, so thats a positive

I run a US Optics SN-3 3.2-17x 44mm scope on my LaRue OBR and am very happy with it. It's probably a bit pricier than you want to spend though. I have a lot of Nikon glass and I think they offer a very good bang for your buck. I've wanted to try Nightforce and the Vortex PST scopes as well as I've heard great things about them.