Wilburwm

Hand Gun Transportation

I was told the other day that if you are transporting a handgun to / from a range, you need to carry a copy of the pistol permit for each pistol. I have 2 pistols that I inherited, and the local police department told me that registration was voluntary, being that I already have a FID and other pistols bought using permits. He told me if I get pulled over they can take the inherited weapon from me. I usually blow off random rumors, but this came from an NRA instructor. Granted, he's not an attorney, but still. IS this true? I see nowhere in the laws that mention carrying any documentation, including even an FID card. I always carry my FID card, but I've never been pulled over while transporting firearms.

I was told the other day that if you are transporting a handgun to / from a range, you need to carry a copy of the pistol permit for each pistol. I have 2 pistols that I inherited, and the local police department told me that registration was voluntary, being that I already have a FID and other pistols bought using permits. He told me if I get pulled over they can take the inherited weapon from me. I usually blow off random rumors, but this came from an NRA instructor. Granted, he's not an attorney, but still. IS this true? I see nowhere in the laws that mention carrying any documentation, including even an FID card. I always carry my FID card, but I've never been pulled over while transporting firearms.

STOP RIGHT THERE! I'm in the same boat you're in.......and the answer is NO paperwork is needed! Long, long ago someone with a little lick of common sense (in NJ no less) actually thought this one through and realized that it wouldn't be feasiblbe to have someone be able to pull a copy of a will out of their behind, SO.....NO mandatory registration and NO paperwork needed.

Which NRA Instructor was this?? I'd like to have a chat with them!

Dave

NRA Certified Instructor

44 years behind a gun

Thanks guys! I didn't see anything, and didn't believe it. I asked him for his source, and told him I couldn't find anything to back it up. I'll see what he says. I don't want to give his name out and ruin his reputation or anything. I'm sure he heard it from someone else who was also misinformed, but that's why I always look things up for myself.

Half of this category of NJ Gun Laws is comprised of threads posted by well-meaning folks who perpetuate "Old Wives Tales" or CYA responses to our written laws. Sometimes I wish you had to have a permit to type on this forum.......

Seriously though, it would be nice if well-meaning Dudley Do-Rights just STHU when it comes to this crap. NJ Gun laws are confusing enough as it is. We don't need so-called Instructors spreading rumors!

Dave

IMHO, it is the NJSP that propetuates the disinformation through the FFLs.

Unfortunately, many FFLs get their information from the NJSP. And, since they opperate their businesses at the pleasure of the NJSP, they are sort of forced to comply with the directions provided.

I have purchased 5 pistols in NJ from 3 different FFL's. Each told me the same thing: (1) Make a photocopy of my permit and keep it in my gun case to show to the police if I am ever stopped. (2) Keep the original in a safe place so I can prove I purchased the handgun legally.

I did not know any better, so I believed my first FFL (he's the expert, right?).

I tried to engage in a discussion with my second FFL to find out why, what law, who told him, etc., trying to learn if there was something I did not know about. But my FFL was simply a parrot. He had no understanding of the Law and simply recited rules and procedures as told to him.

When I received ths SAME advice from my 3rd FFL, I just politely thanked him for his advice, and went on with my life.

I quit traveling with copies of my permits 3 years ago. If a LEO ever asks me for a copy of my permit(s), I will politely explain that they are home in my files and I would be happy to show them to him. He and his supervisor can make an appointment to stop by my home most any evening between 6 and 8pm.