I know that within the state, one can sell a handgun to a private party either through an FFL, or if he is a NJ resident with a valid p2p, to him/her directly. I also know that to sell to an oos resident, I must transfer the gun to them via an FFL in their home state. Traditionally one ships the handgun via an FFL here to an FFL in the buyers home state for the transfer. But, what if the buyer lives in PA and I simply want to drive directly to the FFL in PA with the handgun(s), and have them transfer them. I have documentation of my purchasing the guns in NJ years ago and I have a NJ FID and a UTAH ccw so I am legally allowed to ccw in PA. Even if this is perfectly legal, which the PA FFL tells me it is, what happens back here in NJ? ie The paperwork that exists with agencies in NJ still shows the gun belongs to me. If I transfer it to a NJ resident, a new p2p for the new owner proves that the gun is no longer in my possession, but if it goes oos without going through a NJ FFL there is no paper trail with NJ agencies to show that I no longer own it. Is this an issue?

You are perfectly within your rights to sell to an out-of-state resident through an FFL in their state.

If you are worried about a crime being committed and you being held liable, there is a paper trail that would show you transferred it.

Yes, the FFL has a range and a retail shop. The plan was to meet buyer at the shop/range, use the range, transfer the gun to him via the on-site FFL.

You're GTG

So I have to ship it to the FFL in PA? Can't drive there even though I have a PA ccw? Hmm, not what the PA FFL said.

There was an epic saga of a thread on the whole transport to PA issue that's still running here on the forum. It is not illegal to transport you guns out of state for a lawful purpose. You have a PA CCW therefore it's legal to carry in PA. That's reason enough. If your stopped by a NJ police officer and he asks where your going with your legally unloaded/cased firearm, you tell him your going to XYZ gun shop in PA. CCW or not, it's not illegal to transport to a dealer. Add in what Pizza Bob said about the shop having a range and you now have 3 legal reasons to transport from NJ to another state.