M1152

Another hammer spring issue...

I went to the range today and had the same issue as our fellow member on Saiga 7.62x39/Post 143 . At first I thought I had some bad ammo but then after not seeing any strikes on the primer I lifted the dust cover and found the same problem in post above. This wasn’t the maiden voyage for my 7.62, I’ve had the 7.62 a few months and shot it several times juggling range time between this and my S-223.

So the question is how to we prevent this going forward, use an aftermarket spring or something else? Since the spring walked on the Safety side as with our fellow member is this where it always occurs? Has anyone ever seen it happen on the opposite side? I'm thinking replace the single hook trigger with a double hook trigger and dremel-out the hole for the Safety side hook. The way it looks to me in the posted image if the double hook was in place that leg couldn’t have crossed-over because the second hook would have prevented it from crossing over. So does moving to the double hook look like a viable solution or try something else? Comments or suggestions, thanks in advance.

After I did my conversion, I put the stock hammer spring back on with a slight bend. After I test fired it, I noticed it would be out of place again just so slightly. I would try bending it again and it looked fine after the install. Test fired again and noticed it was out of place.

I installed the JTE performance spring from CSS. I put in the bend and installed it. After a couple of shots, the JTE stays in place. I still have not put enough rounds to really say that the JTE stays in place but so far it has not shifted.

After I did my conversion, I put the stock hammer spring back on with a slight bend. After I test fired it, I noticed it would be out of place again just so slightly. I would try bending it again and it looked fine after the install. Test fired again and noticed it was out of place.

I installed the JTE performance spring from CSS. I put in the bend and installed it. After a couple of shots, the JTE stays in place. I still have not put enough rounds to really say that the JTE stays in place but so far it has not shifted.

Was it your Safety side? I was looking at the JTE springs on the CSS site. I may give that a try along with the double hook trigger because in its current configuration there is no way this rifle could be considered dependably.

Yes, it was the safety side. Just curious on the stock spring. I bent the stock spring and after I install it, it looks ok. I complete the assembly and test fire and the safety side spring is not sitting on the same spot I installed it on. I reckon after firing it a couple of hundred times, it would be a problem.

The stock spring is definitely more rigid that the JTE one. How much bending is required on the stock spring? I did just enough of a bend but I'm not sure if I am applying enough pressure to make it a permanent bend outwards (which may be why it is out of place after a test fire). The JTE is made of a much more pliable material and easier to bend. It looks like it will hold it's shape of being slightly bent outwards.

@ vladtepes – thanks I’ll give it a shot…..

@ vtecpaoche- I’m going to dig mine out later tonight and bend in it. Only bend it slightly, you don’t want to overdo it otherwise it will defeat the purpose. You only want enough of kink in there to have the spring want to be pulling in the outward direction along with the vertical tension. I assume the lateral leaning now is null or inward, so there is the problem. The attraction of using the factory spring is the two winding so the theory is if one busts it should still function, but that does me no good if it continues to drop off. It will probably be at least two weeks before I get out again to test but I'll bend it tonight .

I think I was probably being too gentle on it when I attempted to bend it. I suppose I could have tried a little harder before I got the JTE but the JTE is working without an issue.