To34

Non-resident Getting Stationed in Nj have a few questions (ok a lot)

I did a intro & was told this part of the forum would be the best place to post my questions, my current concern is that I would like to be able to transport

CZ-75's,

mossberg 500 cruiser

M14 w/bi-pod, scope, JAE-100 GEN 3 Precision Rifle Stock (Not sure about this one given the M1 is no-go on the Nj list and the stock)

with me into the state. I am a resident of Washington state, I have a few rifles with "bullet buttons" ( I would love to lose the bullet buttons). I can leave them with my father-in-law if they are going to be a issue.I am currently stationed in Cal and the gun laws here are just as odd there. Once I get a grasp of the thinking out there I'll be better off

Could someone please school me up on what a non-resident would need?

I have a few other questions as to what is simply legal in Nj but the laws seem to be very grey. IE: if its this name it is illegal, but if its not that name but built to operate as said name its still illegal....?

Thanks for any help & yes I'll have a lot more questions I am sure.

Get your FID if you want to buy anything while here, and you'll need it for pistol ammo.

The pistol and shotgun are fine. Just be sure to go STRAIGHT to your destination with the pistol. Don't pass go, don't collect 200 dollars. The rifle as long as it has less than 3 'evil' features, a 15 round magazine, and isn't banned by name, should be good to go. As far as the stock goes for the M1A (Which isn't illegal if you follow the evil features) should be fine as long as you don't have a bayonet mount, flash hider, threaded barrel, or retractable/collapsible stock

But I'm still fairly new to this as well, and I'm sure the more experienced voices will chime in to clear things up.

Via Vladtepes...(in regards to the rifle)

NJ has a listing of guns they specifically prohibit under NJ law, they additionally have laws regarding guns they consider substantially identical. The following is a generally accepted criteria by which a semi automatic rifle is legal or illegal in NJ..

1) Is the gun that you want to buy banned by name?

Algimec AGM1 type

Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder such as the "Street Sweeper" or "Striker 12"

Armalite AR-180 type

Australian Automatic Arms SAR

Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms

Beretta AR-70 and BM59 semi-automatic firearms

Bushmaster Assault Rifle

Calico M-900 Assault carbine and M-900

CETME G3

Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88 type

Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series

Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1 and Max 2, AR 100 types

Demro TAC-1 carbine type

Encom MP-9 and MP-45 carbine types

FAMAS MAS223 types

FN-FAL, FN-LAR, or FN-FNC type semi-automatic firearms

Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12 shotguns

G3SA type

Galil type

Heckler and Koch HK91, HK93, HK94, MP5, PSG-1

Intratec TEC 9 and 22 semi-automatic firearms

M1 carbine type

M14S type

MAC 10, MAC 11, MAC 11-9 mm carbine type firearms

PJK M-68 carbine type

Plainfield Machine Company Carbine

Ruger K-Mini-14/5 F and Mini-14/5 RF

SIG AMT, SIG 550SP, SIG 551SP, SIG PE-57 types

SKS with detachable magazine type

Spectre Auto carbine type

Springfield Armory BM59 and SAR-48 type

Sterling MK-6, MK-7 and SAR types

Steyr A.U.G. semi-automatic firearms

USAS 12 semi-automatic type shotgun

Uzi type semi-automatic firearms

Valmet M62, M71S, M76, or M78 type semi-automatic firearms

Weaver Arm Nighthawk

yes - it is illegal and you may not have..

no - proceed to question 2

2) Is the gun substantially identical as defined by law?

yes - it is illegal and you may not have

no - gun is legal and you may have..

A semi automatic rifle is to be considered substantially identical IF it fits the following criteria...

i. A semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(1) A folding or telescoping stock;

(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(3) A bayonet mount;

(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(5) A grenade launcher;

gun may not have magazine capacity exceeding 15 rounds...

gun must meet minimum requirements for length...

You cannot take an unloaded, cased handgun anywhere except from your home to range or other excepted locations. You can't even take it on foot to show your parents if they live in a house next door to you.

That's probably the most important NJ thing to know, once you determine your firearms and magazines (15 rounds is good) are not banned.

Then, consider hollowpoint ammunition and bullets the same as handguns. Even if you don't have a gun, the ammo can send you to jail. Can't have it anywhere except from your home to range or other excepted locations. The big difference between hollowpoint ammo and handguns is that there is no exception for moving hollowpoint ammo with you when you move to a new residence.

I don't know the laws that well, but those are pretty much the few things that will jack you up. Avoid those pitfalls until you figure out how the laws work.

Screw it, I'll leave everything with my father-in-law till I have time to get everything squared away. To many catch-all's and rather not put my career at risk.

Just buying ammo seems to be labor intensive.. a card just to buy ammo? Firearms Identification card, which is not being issued in a timely manner?

Is Nj big brother so scared of the second amendment that we must be tagged like sheep? Sorry for the small rant but after five years in Cal, I didn't things could get more crazy.... ugh.

FPID is needed only to purchase handgun ammo.

Regardless of the intended use. Meaning if you plan on using 9mm rounds in a carbine, it's still considered handgun ammo. .410 shells can be fired from a handgun (Judge for example), but are not considered handgun ammo, so that's good to buy.

Screw it, I'll leave everything with my father-in-law till I have time to get everything squared away. To many catch-all's and rather not put my career at risk.

Just buying ammo seems to be labor intensive.. a card just to buy ammo? Firearms Identification card, which is not being issued in a timely manner?

Is Nj big brother so scared of the second amendment that we must be tagged like sheep? Sorry for the small rant but after five years in Cal, I didn't things could get more crazy.... ugh.

Yep. Congratulations and welcome to NJ, the worst state you could be stationed in.

As Bob was saying, the FID card is needed to purchase long guns and handgun ammo only, you don't need it to own anything you have already purchased. As long as what you have is not an "assault weapon" under NJ law you can bring it with you.

You will find NJ's laws on what firearms are legal to be less restrictive than CA. We do not have a "roster" of legal handguns, if it's not an AW under NJ law it's legal (which would be 99% of the handguns available). Bullet buttons are irrelevant in NJ, if you buy a semiauto rifle, it can't be mentioned by name on "the list" or can't be any semiauto rifle that has a detachable magazine and two or more "evil features" as described above. SKS for example, is legal in any configuration as long as you do not change out the fixed mag for a detachable one. There are a few other things to be careful with, such as semiauto .22s with fixed mag capacity over 15 rounds and semiauto shotguns, but you didn't mentioned you owned any of them so I didn't go into that.

You can/should bring all of your weapons here, so long as your semi auto's don't have pistol grips AND bayonet lugs, flash hiders, collapseable stocks, and the like.

An AR is fine so long as it has a solid stock, and no bayonet lug. The flash hider is an issue, although I am not certain what is/isn't kosher with flash hiders. You're going to have to take a sledgehammer to that bullet button lower (or shoot it with some 5.56) so you don't get laughed at, though.

Also, very important but stupid, you can't own a weapon that says "AR-15" on it. You can have a "S&W M&P15" or whatever, just not anything that says AR-15. If you want to buy pistol ammo, drive to PA. Handgun ammo is stupid restricted here, since they are requred to record your info when buying a single box. Depending on where you are stationed, Walmart in PA is cheaper and easier. If you are stationed at Picatinny, PA is ~40 minutes away.

At a minimum, your Mossberg and CZ (with a 15 round magazine) are legal.

Without an FID, you can't buy pistol ammo, rifles, handguns, and you can't be traveling excessively with firearms. Drive directly to and from the range and minimize your stops. You can stop for gas, coffee, etc, just don't decide to go on a beach trip while you're out.

'Stationed'?

As in military? If so, wouldn't you fall under active military exemptions? Or is that only government issued firearms?

Its New Jersey, they'd figure out a way to bone him.

As to your actual question, I'd assume it only applies to gov't issued weapons. But I don't really know, seeing as I'm not military.