Sign in to follow this  
NJdiverTony

Old gun advertisements

I found a couple of old print advertisements from gun companies that I thought were cool... The one from the Iver Johnson Arms company is actually kind of funny... a little girl laying in her bed with a teddy bear next to her and handling a handgun with a caption over her saying "Papa says it won't hurt us". Imagine the controversy that an ad like that would cause today!

image011.jpg

image019.jpg

I found a couple of old print advertisements from gun companies that I thought were cool... The one from the Iver Johnson Arms company is actually kind of funny... a little girl laying in her bed with a teddy bear next to her and handling a handgun with a caption over her saying "Papa says it won't hurt us". Imagine the controversy that an ad like that would cause today!

image011.jpg

image019.jpg

Oh god, those prices. I know that wages back then would make the prices somewhat equal to what they would be today, but seeing $80 right next to a spankin' new revolver kinda hurts after looking at all the prices for similar items today.

Wow . Trippy.

So , aside from being "hammerless" , how was the gun "absolutely safe" ? Some kind of trigger lock on it or something? Curious :)

Iver Johnson was the first to have a transfer bar which prevented the firing pin from hitting the primer unless the trigger was pulled back about 1907 or so. They called it the "hammer the hammer" safety. We kind of take this for granted today. S&W didn't incorporate this until WWII when a sailor dropped his Victory model and was killed when the revolver fell on the hammer. The automatic refers to the cases being ejected automatically when you opened the action. Most inexpensive revolvers of that time required you to pluck out the empties with your fingernails or any available small stick.