MosinRob

Picked up a .50 today

Picked up a .50 today. I paid $165 for it. I think it was a good deal. This is my first gun with double triggers. Whats the deal with that? Also looks like the rear sight is rigged a little.Its got a wood wedge under it. Seems a little crooked sighting down the barrel. Also has a wood wedge under it. Can it be replaced? Is it a easy fix? thanks guys.

2012-08-20_22-42-44_965.jpg

2012-08-20_22-42-26_303.jpg

2012-08-20_22-43-41_405.jpg

2012-08-20_22-43-32_183.jpg

2012-08-20_22-44-04_393.jpg

2012-08-20_22-44-30_319.jpg

2012-08-20_22-43-13_336.jpg

2012-08-20_22-45-12_655.jpg

2012-08-20_22-45-34_132.jpg

The front trigger acts like a regular trigger. The rear trigger can "set" the front trigger's pull for a crisper let-off. There should be a small set screw between the two triggers that can be adjusted to control the amount of let off. To use, you would cock the hammer, pull the rear trigger fully to the rear, and now the front trigger is set to let off with a light pull.

Double triggers on muzzleloaders are very simple in design.

As for the rear sight, someone did a poor job in forcing the rear sight to stay in place. I would remove the adjustment screw and find out why. I'm sure parts can be ordered to replace things.

The rear sight isn't too difficult to disassemble:

rearsight.jpg

Track of the Wolf or Dixon's should have the parts you need.

Rob,

That piece of wood in the rear sight indicates to me that the front sight was never "tuned" (filed) by the previous owner, OR that the previous owner was shooting a fair distance with a really light powder charge or the powder itself suffered from poor storage conditions or a combination of all three.

The short answer is to use REAL Black, say around 60-70 grains and sight the rifle in after removing the wood and replacing the spring that controls the rise of the rear sight since said spring is probably worn due to the wood being there! See Parkers photo above. Call me or Lance on the phone and we'll help you as best we can.

1st Sunday is the regular Old Bridge BP Match.....you might be able to shoot it then.

Dave