Sign in to follow this  
RecessedFilter

A perfect ride leads into a rare experience...

So I have some time off now and have been so busy with work I gathered a couple guys up and we went for a day ride today on our sport bikes. Rode up through eastern PA to Lake Wally, then out to Jervis, then back down through northern NJ, about 280miles. The temperature was perfect, not blazingly hot that I was dying in my leathers, the sky was beautiful with some nice clouds slowly crossing the sky all day, and two I4 engines and one Vtwin screaming through twisties...it couldn't have gotten any better!

As were coming through the Culvers Lake area, I'm leading and come in pretty hot into a left hander. I know all those roads like the back of my hand so it's just like any other day. Oh wait, as I enter the turn and am looking through the turn, I see a black bear just kind of 'hanging out' on the side of the road. I see his black head just sticking out of the high grass. Just as I see his head, I'm guessing he got scared by the sounds of our engines and he booked it out of the grass and into the road.

It happens so quick the first thing I thought of was 'Wow a black bear! That's awesome"...that quickly changed to "holy *#U*@& don't run out"...and that quickly changed to "don't target fixate, don't target fixate!" I lightly trail braked and swerved around him as he ran in front of me.

He was so close to me that I could see the saliva running out of his mouth. I'd estimate him at around 200lbs, rather small but still a little intimidating.

Other than the fact that I had to throw out my boxers lol, it was a great rest of the day after that and will be a great tale to tell around the bonfire! The funny thing is, 1 - the other few guys behind me were riding a bit more conservative than I was so they never saw the damn thing and 2 - this is my second bear experience. Down at the Dragon in NC/TN, a previous bear crossed the road in front of me but was a good 20-25 feet ahead instead of 5-10 feet today!

Gives a whole new meaning to skid marks huh? ;)

Bad enough when deer walk out in front of ya like they are posing for animal crackers...

We do that ride occasionally... Nice ride.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Had a similar experience years ago when i was into the crotch rocket thing ( Kawasaki zx7 ) , came around a bend leaning into it and oh SH*T deer , he saw me i saw him and thank god he froze , came so close i could have kicked him , chalked it up as a good learning experience , lol !!

. Down at the Dragon in NC/TN, a previous bear crossed the road in front of me but was a good 20-25 feet ahead instead of 5-10 feet today!

Glad you were OK. I miss riding.

I've heard of black, brown, grizzly and polar bears, but what is a previous bear? ;)