Silent Service

AR Flash Hider/Suppressor Adj. Stock Legality

Cabelas has DPMS Panther Arms Oracle AR on sale for $630 bucks that I want to purchase. It has good reviews on Cabelas site and I can buy a load of ammo with the dough I'll save. Maybe I'll buy two. )

It has a flash hider and adjustable stock. Is it legal in NJ? I'm pretty sure it is if I pin the stock right? Only one "Evil" option then!?

I tried to post the Cabelas link but I was censored, oh yeah it's NJ.

If someone wants to cut and paste the following in Cabelas page it will get you close so you can see what I'm blathering about.

DPMS Panther Arms Oracle.

Thanks in advance for the advice people, it is greatly appreciated and has kept me out of the deep doo in the past.

Stock must be pinned, flash hider must be permanently replaced with a Compensator/Brake, and the bayonet lug wacked off (if it has one).

You get one evil feature - the pistol grip.

Once you have the pistol grip, you can't have more.

If you have a pistol grip you need to cut the bayonet lug, take off the flash hider, pin a compensator on, and pin the stock. BEFORE it enters NJ

So I'm beat on this one? Doesn't appear to have a lug, not sure if the hider can be replaced, pinning seems simply. Maybe I'll just buy it and stay over there in America.

Why do I feel like Ralphy in the Chrismas story, his dreams crushed on Christmas day.

"You'll shoot your eye out , you'll shoot your eye out"

Not sayin' you would,,,But bring that thing into Jersey and you'll wish you shot your eye out.

Ball park, whats a compensator cost?

Can I posess the hider in NJ, in my safe?

Not just the cost of compensator but it must be permanently attached. In other words, welded.

No. You can't have evil parts in your possession from a strictly legal perspective.

Not just the cost of compensator but it must be permanently attached. In other words, welded.

No. You can't have evil parts in your possession from a strictly legal perspective.

The welding is debatable. As long as its permanently attached by pin.

Here is the yhm brake that seems to be popular.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=78

If you are doing it yourself not to expensive. If going to a gunsmith it's more $

Not sayin' you would,,,But bring that thing into Jersey and you'll wish you shot your eye out.

LOL, yeah or challenge the miscreants that made the rules to a cage match.

Think I could weld it with my mig welder? Tiny tacks count right?

The welding is debatable. As long as its permanently attached by pin.

Here is the yhm brake that seems to be popular.

http://www.rainierar...l&product_id=78

If you are doing it yourself not to expensive. If going to a gunsmith it's more $

OK, Now whats the difference between this muzzle brake and the stock "hider"? Looks like the same thing to me.

Got it, thanks. For $30 more it still seems fair. I'm sure they got a Jersey pro over there in Hamburg that'll help me out. As far as the fella next door.... :diablo:

I wouldn't count on it. But you can try. NJ laws are confusing enough for us let alone a PA guy that doesn't have to abide by them. You can always talk to a dealer here in NJ about getting one already compliant. PK90 already posted in this thread seems to be a stand up guy who knows his stuff, though I've never actually dealt with him.

I just got this for my Colt. It really is flat black - not the ugly brown/green in the photo. Quality is very good. I wish it had wrench flats, but othe rthan that it's good to go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230841557166

That may be so, but even if they will sell black guns to NJ residents, no FFL can sell someone a firearm that is not legal in the state the purchaser resides in. The rifle will need to be modified before the buyer takes possession of it, even if sold in PA.

If you like the gun, buy it and have it sent to Paul (PK90) at Arms N' Ammo. He can pin the stock, and put a comp/brake on the barrel for you. A comp can cost anywhere from $50-150 depending on what you get. I cant remember exactly how much Paul charges to pin that and a stock but its very reasonable. He did this exact same thing for me when I bought an AR. Hes a great guy.

I recall hearing Cabela's won't sell an 'evil black gun' to a NJ resident. You better check with them before going out there.

While shopping at Cabelas last year, the sales man behind the counter said they do not sell AR type semi auto rifles to NJ residents. There were 3-4 semi auto rifles behind the counter with big tags on them that identified the ok for NJ rifles. I recall one of them being an EAA PAP, and the others were high point carbines. All had 10 round mags.