Sign in to follow this  
when_shtf

MRI Baby Eagle II Opinions?

I have a few permits to burn (slowly with the 30 day wait). Last week I picked up a Berretta M9 at Jim Flynn's. Next month it will be a Ruger SR22. I asked Jim about a CZ-75BD (decocker model) and was told that he can't get new ones due to the increase capacity of the magazine. He told me if I can find an older one with 15-round magazines he'd be happy to do the transfer.

But I'd really like a new gun. So I started looking into the CZ licensed/copies/clones 9mm guns such as the EAA Witness, ArmaLite AR-24 and the MRI Desert Baby Eagle II. I've shot the AR-24 and thought it to be a great handling gun. It has a reputation for stove piping and sure enough, in the 50 rounds I fired I did get a stove-piped round. So that's off the list.

The full sized Baby Eagle II (DE9915R) has caught my eye in both steel and poly framed. Does anyone have any direct experience with the MRI Baby Eagle II? It would be great if you have experience with both the CZ & MRI. I'm more interested in the steel frame then the poly, but open to opinions.

Baby Eagles are awesome shooters. They just feel good in the hand, but they are heavy. I don't have experience with the polymer versions, though. You may or may not like the location of the safety on the slide, and it might be very hard to get parts for this gun and there are probably very little in the way of accessories, holsters, replacement sights, etc. On the plus side, if you like a DA/SA trigger, they have a very nice trigger. I like the all-steel metal semi-compact one. They can be a pain to break down as they have two springs that you have to compress at once when putting the guide rod back together, but not too difficult.

They may be better made than a CZ. I don't know. But, I would probably opt for the CZ 75B, instead.

Jim is a great dealer, but he is probably not direct with CZ and thus has to buy from a distributor. It may be his distributor who doesn't want to go to the trouble to approach CZ about supplying the gun you want with NJ compliant mags. You may want to use the price request feature on here to see if someone can supply you with the gun you desire.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

75BDs can be found from time to time on gunbroker...that's where I got mine. I was able to haggle thee price down after the seller agreed to sell without the 16 round mag. I was able to pick up some 15rounders from CDNN for cheap.

Probably my favorite shooter. It feels great in the hand, natural point of aim, and has minimum recoil.

Don't give up on the CZ yet, as a matter of fact I'm looking to add to my collection with a SP-01.

Good luck!

I've shot the steel full size BE2 in 9mm and liked it a lot. I would've bought one with the permits I had but wasn't able find one in time and got distracted with other pistols that became available. I may still get one whenever I put in for 3 more permits. Might be a trip for you but Shore Shot in Lakewood had one for rent which is the one I shot. I will say though that it did have an issue at first chambering a round but I think that may have been due to the condition it was in. They gave it a cleaning and after that I put 50rds through it no problem. I like the heft to the steel guns so will say I'm probably biased in that regards but I do have polymer guns and enjoy them as well.

I have an original DE Baby Eagle steel, in 41 AE love that gun and would not hesitate to buy another one.. i do not like polymer guns so i will always recommend steel just my preference..

Their are plenty of parts available for it and accessories i put tricon nite sights on mine..