Sign in to follow this  
cutterOne

Question on laws concerning Bows

Hey All,

I have a question. I own serveral firearms so I'm familiar with the laws regarding ownership/usage in terms of rifles/pistols. Here is my question though. My wife just recently got into Archery, she purchased a Mission Craze bow and all the associated accessories. She asked me if she could setup targets in the backyard. I honestly don't know the answer. To give you some info, our backyard is big (roughly 30yrds from the back of the house to the tree line). Behind the yeard is another 30yrds or so of woods, then a creek, then parkland on the other side.

So basically, does anyone know if using a bow for target practice in ones own backyard is NJ "legal"? I assume hunting restrictions would apply if she wanted to go after a deer or something, but for just shooting a stationary target, what are the rules?

Thanks for any advice

There isn't a state law regarding discharge of firearms or archery equip on private property, but many municipalities have no-discharge laws. In some instances, these include bows and xbows. So, you should check with your town to see if they have restriction. If not...I think you're fine. I would imagine that the hunting reg of no discharge of a bow within 150 feet of an occupied building would probably still hold no matter what though.

There isn't a state law regarding discharge of firearms or archery equip on private property, but many municipalities have no-discharge laws. In some instances, these include bows and xbows. So, you should check with your town to see if they have restriction. If not...I think you're fine. I would imagine that the hunting reg of no discharge of a bow within 150 feet of an occupied building would probably still hold no matter what though.

The hunting minimum distance rules only apply while hunting, there are no state laws that regulate target shooting in your backyard that I'm aware of (outside of common sense safety measures). Still need to check if the town has any discharge regulations.