Recon Racoon

Suggestions for a beginner reloader?

Threading dies is no big deal -- Lock rings work fine and you can upgrade them to hornady lock rings for around $20.

The hornady rings give a much better grab on the die being of a clamshell design

Don't be afraid to thread dies -- repeatability is easy.

So between the two the Breech Lock gives slightly loser tolerances?

Yes and it's a given on every stage you do on reloading. It will create decent ammo as bulpup has said. But I'd rather thread my dies for tighter tolerances! Making better consistent ammo! Good luck in your choice. =)

Threading dies is no big deal -- Lock rings work fine and you can upgrade them to hornady lock rings for around $20.

The hornady rings give a much better grab on the die being of a clamshell design

Don't be afraid to thread dies -- repeatability is easy.

Good answer here to.

Yeah, I found the Hornady Lock rings and they seem like a good idea. I'm guessing the way those lock rings are set up, you thread your die to the correct setting, then lock the ring in place and that 'saves' your die setting?

You sir are correct and most of the time they fit in their respective boxes with the rings on!

You sir are correct and most of the time they fit in their respective boxes with the rings on!

Excellent! I'll add a pack of six to my list then. The die set I'm gonna use is the Lee Pacesetter for 7.7 Jap, so I'll have three rings left over for when ever I get another caliber. Just gotta finish my list of things to get, and I should be ready to start loading by later October, early November.

Go for the lee single stage, its the cheapest setup, so if reloading is not your calling, then you can just dump it in the corner

I haven't even made a purchase since I started this thread, and after doing quite a bit of looking and figuring, I think I'm sticking with the Classic Cast. Assuming I can even find one in stock now because of the panic buying.

following this. just picked up an arasaka and soon a lee einfield. id like to get something that i can do the 7.7 .303 and also .223 and .45 auto. also if anyone is in my area doing reloading maybe i can stop by and get some hands on learning. reading only gets me so far.

following this. just picked up an arasaka and soon a lee einfield. id like to get something that i can do the 7.7 .303 and also .223 and .45 auto. also if anyone is in my area doing reloading maybe i can stop by and get some hands on learning. reading only gets me so far.

Luckily enough, both of the rifles you have (or are soon getting) use the same bullet. Watch youtube videos on reloading 7.7 Jap. There are a few out there. Some doing factory brass, some doing trimmed brass from 30-06 and some videos from .270 WIN. Thats where I started, and ended up learning a lot just from the videos.

I've been reloading on a single stage press since 1987. I can't imagine ever outgrowing it. You will always have a use for a single stage press even if its just for popping primers before cleaning with a de-capping die.

My thought - buy a rock chucker - it will never be without a use on your reloading bench.

+1. I love my single stage rockchucker.