TheDon

Rings and Mounts for Rem 700

It is interesting how you can spend anywhere from $30 to $600 to mount a scope.

I just spent $870 on a Sightron SIII with a 50mm objective. Do you optics gurus have some recommended 30mm rings and mounting options for a Remington Model 700 VTR A-TACS?

What brand are best value (quality for cost)?

I know I need good rings. Are factory mounts OK?

Anything to stay away from?

And finally, is mounting a scope something I should pay a gunsmith to do? I've never done it before and do not have any mounting equipment.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks, alowerlevel. So, it looks like you favor the full picatinny rails.

That kind of beggs the question about a whether to go with a full rail or two short bases. I was actually favoring the option of two bases because it would give more clearance around the chamber for cleaning. Are there any advantages to a full rail, other than a broader range of mounting options?

Thanks for the offer bry@n. 20 MOA is a bit beyond my range. I am only chambered in 308 and do not have access to a range longer than 500 yards (300 yards at CJRPC and 500 near my parent's home in PA). If I were headed to Wyoming with a .30-06, I might be interested. But I think I need 0-MOA unles I am misunderstanding the purpose of the downward angle in the mount.

Again, I am new to this, so if I said anything stupid, please do not judge me.

I see your point as I shoot at cj as well. I went with it, just in case I wanted to take a shot at longer ranges. I saw no negative affects of having it and not needing. Cost was the same. I am also chambered in 308. I have the rail and when mounting the scope it was easy.

I would assume it would be easier to swap scope should you want to go to one with a higher or lower power. I don't believe you will have a clearance issue. I can bring my 700 overto cj if you wanna check it out.

I've used Weaver, Leupold and mostly Redfield for my applications and was never disappointed. There are beefier and heavier rings out there today, spawned by mil-tact applications. If I could save a few ounces on the total weight of the rifle I used Weaver when I used lightweight low-powered scopes. They are cheap but they worked. For bigger and heavier scopes I would pick something more substantial. Ensure that the screws mounting the base into the receiver's steel are anchored and LocTited securely. Remember that the weight of the scope, ring and mount are combined; for that's what those four mounting screws must resist during recoil for each pull of the trigger.

Here's a simple primer with links on rings and mounts: http://www.americanh...s/scope-mounts/

Get yourself a scope mounting kit: http://www.opticsplanet.com/wheeler-scope-mounting-kits.html You'll recoup the costs after a few scopes. It's very easy to do if you have the right tools.

You are going to love that Sightron. Great glass at affordable pricing.

If you want to skip the step of lapping your rings, the Burris Signature Zee series are a good bet. Generally, a one piece mount is going to be more solid than a two piece.