mattio41

Gerber Camping - Back Packing - Survival Gear

It has been years since I have done any real camping or Backpacking, and I want to get started again. Having to buy all new gear, because my family has absorbed and lost all my old stuff. What is your opinion of the Gerber line. I know there are better, and I know there are worst. But overall, How would you rate their equipment if you have any of it.

Anybody have any opinion of the Bear Gyllis Line of equipment?

I might add, I am not looking to climb Mt Everest anytime soon. But at lease get started with some basic hiking and camping to start with.

http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Camping-Survival-Accessories.php

Gerber-Back-Paxe-II-31-000912-350x350.gifGerber-E-Tool-22-01945-350x350.gif

Gerber-Gator-Machete-Jr-31-000082-350x350.gifGerber-Bear-Grylls-Ultimate-Knife-31-000751-350x350.gif

I have the knife, love it. Long ago I went more lightweight, so I won't carry an axe, or machete, or trench tool. I have a tiny plastic shovel for digging cat holes, and if in a group ONE person brings a saw (light, aluminum handle/band saw blade) for cutting larger wood.

Most wood we burn is simply breakable, larger logs we put on the fire and feed in as necessary. I WOULD carry the machete if I knew I'd be going off-trail/bushwacking, but still wouldn't take the axe or the trench tool.

And to add: Bear is the real deal. I know some people love to hate him, but anyone who has completed SAS training and climbed Everest has stones. His new book, auto-bio, is really good.... none of the Man vs Wild stuff, it's all about how he became who he is... highly recommended.

I have no personal experience with the bear gyrlls line of products, but I've seen it at Walmart and my first impression is all you are buying is his name and the whole make believe man vs. wild show.

I've had a few gerber knives and multi-tools, they seemed well made and took some daily abuse for awhile.

I have no personal experience with the bear gyrlls line of products, but I've seen it at Walmart and my first impression is all you are buying is his name and the whole make believe man vs. wild show.

I've had a few gerber knives and multi-tools, they seemed well made and took some daily abuse for awhile.

Not true, but I'll leave it at that. You're review of Gerber making good stuff is spot-on, and the Grylls' stuff is no different.

There's a recall on one of the BG items: http://www.gerbergear.com/Meet-Gerber/Product-Info/Product-Notifications/Bear-Grylls-Parang-Recall (just something to watch out for)

I bought a BG fire starter a while ago mostly because it was one of the cheapest ones I could find on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-31-000699-Grylls-Survival-Starter/dp/B004DT6TEK/

Overall, I've been happy with it. It's unnecessarily large IMHO, but, other than that, it's well built and works well. Biggest plus is that it has room for tinder.

Needed an axe once and bought the Gerber Gator Axe combo http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Gator-Axe-Saw-Combo/dp/B004CXWTS2 - seems decently built, if a bit slippery.

Lastly, wanted a small shovel for the cars - bought this: http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-41578-Gorge-Folding-Shovel/dp/B000WZCSTO used it a couple times at the range to dig holes for target stands and what not. No complaints, and it's a nice small package to leave in the cars.

So, in my limited experience, I'd say most of their products are decent. Definitely not high end, but, definitely useable. YMMV

Whatever you decide to look into, or purchase, it all depends on what you're doing. There is a big difference between car camping, walking into the woods a mile and pitching up, or backpacking a few days with everything you need on your back.

I am not sure which one you will be doing and I don't know if you were planning on buying the Gerber combo pack or whatever it is, that has the machete, shovel, and axe or whatever, but I would try and stay away from those things. Just like a lot of med kits, it's much better to make your own and customize it to your liking and buy what you want versus getting things that are included. A lot of those times, the kits have stuff that you are going to throw away. Gerber makes some great tools, while some of there tools (the machete, specifically) are just ok.

I'd suggest two knives - a fixed blade and a decent sized pocket knife. One tool I love is called the Saw-vivor. It is a portable hack saw that works VERY well. Super easy, compact, light, and really saws through thicker logs when you need to provide more heat than large branches. I don't bring all the stuff like a machete, shovel, and whatever else, those tools are just completely unnecessary for what I do. Some people like to carry an axe or a friggin 10 inch bowie for protection but I find that a bit much. Numerous people tend to go overboard with that stuff, kind of like nutnfancy idols. I carry two big cans of bear spray, one holstered for easy access and one in my pack. Plus when you carry everything on your back, ounces make quite a difference.

It's really funny when your backpacking a trail with some decent foot traffic and you see the two guys who have all sorts of unnecessary shit velcroed and tied onto their brand new 5.11 backpacks wearing boonie hats and pretending like we are in the mountains of Afghanistan doing a recon mission. I bet the infrequent times I see these types of people, they barely use half the crap they bring along.

Two knives, the saw-vivor, and a small portable knife sharpener will do you wonders. Keep it simple.

Sorry for the book. I'm online and bored and kind of just kept typing.

nah- good post man! That portable hacksaw was also what I was talking about. Feather light, sharp as hell, great for firewood.

@Recessedfilter, Interesting you talk about the Tactical 5.11 bags. I have been shopping for a bag/pack. Where I live, Space is a bit of a premium. So i have been trying to shop for a bag that I can use for both. The traditional packs that you find at Dicks/Sports Authority I have not cared for. They seam to be 1 big Deep hole with very few individual compartments for organization.

And in regards to the tactical packs, are they good to pack camping gear, Sleeping bag, bed roll, etc...

Ughhhhhh Decision decisions.....

There's a recall on one of the BG items: http://www.gerbergear.com/Meet-Gerber/Product-Info/Product-Notifications/Bear-Grylls-Parang-Recall (just something to watch out for) I bought a BG fire starter a while ago mostly because it was one of the cheapest ones I could find on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-31-000699-Grylls-Survival-Starter/dp/B004DT6TEK/ Overall, I've been happy with it. It's unnecessarily large IMHO, but, other than that, it's well built and works well. Biggest plus is that it has room for tinder. Needed an axe once and bought the Gerber Gator Axe combo http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Gator-Axe-Saw-Combo/dp/B004CXWTS2 - seems decently built, if a bit slippery. Lastly, wanted a small shovel for the cars - bought this: http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-41578-Gorge-Folding-Shovel/dp/B000WZCSTO used it a couple times at the range to dig holes for target stands and what not. No complaints, and it's a nice small package to leave in the cars. So, in my limited experience, I'd say most of their products are decent. Definitely not high end, but, definitely useable. YMMV

I was looking at the combination axe with knife. I did not see the axe/saw combo. I agree with what you say about slippery, you can feel that in the store. Although, I plan on wrapping the handle with Paracord to give a slip-free surface, as well as a little cushion. And at the same time, having some extra cord on hand could not hurt.

The BG stuff has been reviewed remarkably well in various comparisions in Outdoors, Backpacking and some other camping/hiking magazines. The knives have been at or close to the top of the charts. It surprised me, but it's nice that he's put his name on decent equipment.

I think the survival kits are probably the weakest thing, and any Boy Scout would create a better kit for a lot less $$.