If you have had a first steps or NRA basic pistol class then a second recommendation for GFH Urban Pistol 1&2 which will really build on fundamentals.

Joe Sente and Charles "Chuck" Mollineaux are top notch, real world, no bs instructors.

I've also taken Pistol Combatives 1-4 with Chris Fry of Mdts. He is an excellent instructor and his courses are challenging. Nothing in the area soon, but perhaps next year he'll come down again.

You can check out his site: www.mdtstraining.com which also has a plethora of helpful information under the articles section.

Yes the GFH are worth the $$ IMO :) On top of a few privates , I've taken First Steps , Next Steps , Urban I and II , Low Light I and Urban Shotgun I..I'm signed up for Sims on a Thursday night soon ( better look that up lol ) , and signed up for Urban III Oct 27th and then their Zombie Shotgun event benefit for Wounded Warriors the 28th. I feel it is excellent training for the $$ . And fun. Bonus :)

Yes the GFH are worth the $$ IMO :) On top of a few privates , I've taken First Steps , Next Steps , Urban I and II , Low Light I and Urban Shotgun I..I'm signed up for Sims on a Thursday night soon ( better look that up lol ) , and signed up for Urban III Oct 27th and then their Zombie Shotgun event benefit for Wounded Warriors the 28th. I feel it is excellent training for the $$ . And fun. Bonus :)

Thanks for all the detailed info. The reason I'm looking at a private session is that I feel I'm a little too advanced for the First Steps class but not experienced enough for the courses that come after. I don't want to spend the $ on First Steps and spend half of the time dozing off when they're teaching the very rudimentary topics like safe handling, cleaning, etc. Not that those aren't important... but I'm already familiar with them.

Speaking of intro classes.. does anyone know the difference between GFH's First Steps Pistol and Basic Pistol?

I actually did a private for First Steps and Next steps..I was extremely nervous as my last encounter with a firearm was an awful one.Long story short a friend who was LEO was being irresponsible on every level with his firearm and ended his life right in the middle of a karaoke party. Fast forward 20 years , I went to the range with my husband and as soon as I heard and smelled the guns I had to walk back out , almost fainted. Decided if I wanted to pick up the new hobby with the husband , I would need some handholding hence the private lesson rather than the group class. I benefited greatly , the instructor was very patient and put me at ease. Could not wait for lesson two , then jumped right into group classes , IDPA , and USPSA. Sometimes a private is the way to go , especially if you have a unique situation:)

I'm not sure the differences in the classes at this point. You can just email them with any questions right from the website. They are all very helpful and get back to you right away.

If you are able to aim and shoot and have spent a couple of hours reviewing YouTube or other videos then you are most likely fine for Urban Pistol 1. Best thing to do is to phone Anthony at GFH and explain your experience level and see what he suggests.

If you've done NRA Basic Pistol then I wouldn't do First Steps - just my view.

The main prerequisite (in my view) for Urban Pistol 1 is that you are safe with a firearm. Can you draw from a holster - taking your time.

Some of this you can practice at home with an UNLOADED firearm, then use the GFH classes to provide some additional finessing of technique and additional skills.

TheWombat

GAPP has an intermediate pistol course which seems to bridge the gap between first steps and the urban pistol type courses. I haven't taken it but will vouch for GAPP as a great school.

In fact my gf has been unhappy with her marksmanship but doesn't want to take a combative class. Think this would definitely help her.