Sign in to follow this  
fishnut

Pa resident bringing gun into NJ

Without a NJ FID, he can bring his rifle to NJ provided he adheres to the travel exemptions. He can go directly to and from the range or gunshop.

Check Vlad's NJ gun law summary sticky, section on transportation. It covers with FID and without.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/blog/1/entry-16-nj-gun-law-summary/

There may be a problem with the gun itself. Its a semi auto .22 with a tubular magazine. Its designed to hold 14 round of .22long rifle, but that means it will hold more than 15 rounds of .22 short, which may make your .22 a prohibited gun in NJ.

Here is a thread with some more information on this

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/12798-restrict-magazine-marlin-60/

it is stamped .22LR onley so he is good to go the shorts dont feed properly. So is there any problem with him bringing the rifle into nj to shoot at clinton wma. I have a hunting licenses so we can use the range but is he allowd to drive the rifle into the state even though he is not moveing and he dose not have a FID or a hunting licenses? For some reason I dident see Dans post so he is good to go thanks everyone.

Edited by fishnut

There may be a problem with the gun itself. Its a semi auto .22 with a tubular magazine. Its designed to hold 14 round of .22long rifle, but that means it will hold more than 15 rounds of .22 short, which may make your .22 a prohibited gun in NJ.

I could probably jam more than 15 rounds of a different round into a number of magazines that hold 15 or less of the round they are designed for. That it no way makes them prohibited. Please stop spreading information that is flat out out incorrect and not substantiated in any capacity.

http://njgunforums.c...22-short-legal/

this was discussed before. Not illegal.

it is stamped .22LR onley so he is good to go the shorts dont feed properly. So is there any problem with him bringing the rifle into nj to shoot at clinton wma. I have a hunting licenses so we can use the range but is he allowd to drive the rifle into the state even though he is not moveing and he dose not have a FID or a hunting licenses? For some reason I dident see Dans post so he is good to go thanks everyone.

He can drive to and from the range directly and shoot there with any NJ legal gun. He cannot drive around elsewhere in NJ with it (unless he is traveling directly to another range, gun shop, or hunting).

........Please stop spreading information that is flat out out incorrect and not substantiated in any capacity.

As there was clearly other threads about the legality of this very model of gun, and there are variations of the model 60 that are indeed in violation of NJ gun laws, i dont understand where your attitude comes from. In my post, if you read it, I say there may be an issue. I didnt spread any "flat out incorrect information" that is "not substantiated in any capacity". I didnt say "your gun is illegal! hide your dog!

No, you said, "Its designed to hold 14 round of .22long rifle, but that means it will hold more than 15 rounds of .22 short". I, like you, are well aware of the previous model 60 that held more than 15 rounds that is indeed illegal. You were NOT talking about that, and decided to spread information that this model might be prohibited anyways. I originally had no attitude, and was making a polite request. But when I read hundreds of posts in the NJ law section of this forum of people spouting misinformation, usually without even bothering to look up the applicable statutes, it is frustrating.

And this isn't one of those really debatable issues, or else NJ dealers wouldn't be selling Marlin 60's here.

No, you said, "Its designed to hold 14 round of .22long rifle, but that means it will hold more than 15 rounds of .22 short". I, like you, are well aware of the previous model 60 that held more than 15 rounds that is indeed illegal. You were NOT talking about that, and decided to spread information that this model might be prohibited anyways. I originally had no attitude, and was making a polite request. But when I read hundreds of posts in the NJ law section of this forum of people spouting misinformation, usually without even bothering to look up the applicable statutes, it is frustrating.

And this isn't one of those really debatable issues, or else NJ dealers wouldn't be selling Marlin 60's here.

IMO your original response to fishpaw was rather harsh. I'm all for correcting misinformation and educating other members on what you have learned absolutely. Just not in a way that implies "Shut up, you don't know what you are talking about. Your post is bad and you should feel bad" manner. That kind of stuff forms an environment in which people are afraid to post their thoughts for fear of being ridiculed.

After-all, he didn't flat out say it was illegal or anything like that, and what he said is true that a .22lr designed tube mag will fit more .22 shorts then what it was designed for. Doesn't mean it will function, and it doesn't mean that it breaks any laws. (this is the education part).