Sign in to follow this  
kman

Assault Firearm law in NJ - Has it changed?

I must be missing something here, but last time I looked up the statute for so-called "Assault Firearms" in New Jersey I remember seeing a provision regarding "Evil Features" (i.e. flash suppressors, pistol grips, barrel shrouds, stuff like that) and you could only have no more than one evil feature, or perhaps it was two, or else you had an "assault firearm".

Anyhow, I just looked it up again and that provision is gone. I can't find it in N.J.S.A. 2C:39-1 on the NJ State Statutes website, nor in the NJAC section on the NJ State Police website.

http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=1224515&Depth=4&TD=WRAP&advquery=2C%3a39-1%20%20Definitions&headingswithhits=on&infobase=statutes.nfo&rank=&record={1A47}&softpage=Doc_Frame_Pg42&wordsaroundhits=2&x=31&y=5&zz=

http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/njac-title13-ch54.pdf

It has the usual list of specifically named firearms, the section on evil features for shotguns, the ban on over 15 round magazines, and the ban on semi-auto guns with fixed magazines over 15 rounds. But nothing on evil features for rifles.

Could it be that this section was repealed? It seems impossible, but how else could it have disappeared? I'm sure I'm not the first person who noticed this.

wait a sec doesn't it say on the first page it expires on 11/13/12 tho? does that mean.....w00t lol

Once again that isnt bthe AWB STATUTE..it's the portion of the Administrative Code that details what the Evil Features are. the AWB itself does not have a Sunset Date, it is there until and unless the Legislature removes it

wait a sec doesn't it say on the first page it expires on 11/13/12 tho? does that mean.....w00t lol

CHAPTER EXPIRATION DATE:

In accordance with N.J.S.A. 52:14B-5.1b, Chapter 54, Firearms and Weapons, expires on November 13, 2014. See: 43 N.J.R. 1203(a).

LINK