Sign in to follow this  
G115BA

Print your own gun

http://www.nbcnews.c...apart-1C7404226

What will the libs have to say about this. Will we now need to register our printers or only FFLs will own printers?

Outside of NJ you can certainly make your own guns without an FFL. If this worked I would print like a zillion. I just don't have the money for a zillion parts kits to finish all of them. That's a lot of parts kits.

*shrug*

Guns are just machines. The "Printing" of guns is no more likely than the manufacture of guns through homemade CNC machines. I could probably make a crude gun with two a lengths of pipe, a sliding door lock , a spring and a nail for less than $20. And I wouldn't even need a $2000 thermal printer. Just a few minutes and some JB Weld.

I like the idea of a surgeon "printing" a heart valve during surgery or an auto parts store "printing" a part for your 1986 Volvo that is no longer being made. Thats where these 3D printers could shine. Imagine an Army maintenance unit printing repair parts on the battlefield to get a tank going for another day.

*shrug*

Guns are just machines.  The "Printing" of guns is no more likely than the manufacture of guns through homemade CNC machines.

It's a lot different.  That would require more skill and time, and in the future, more money.

I could probably make a crude gun with two a lengths of pipe, a sliding door lock , a spring and a nail for less than $20.  And I wouldn't even need a $2000 thermal printer.  Just a few minutes and some JB Weld.

That's not exactly an AR receiver.

I like the idea of a surgeon "printing" a heart valve during surgery or an auto parts store "printing" a part for your 1986 Volvo that is no longer being made.

I could probably make a crude heart valve or Volvo part with two a lengths of pipe, a sliding door lock , a spring and a nail.  Will be about as worthwhile as your zipgun :)

Printing out gun receivers would be awesome.  I don't plan to take your zipgun to the range or carry it.

Just different ways of looking at the same thing I guess.

I could probably make a crude heart valve or Volvo part with two a lengths of pipe, a sliding door lock , a spring and a nail. Will be about as worthwhile as your zipgun :)

That was pretty darn funny.

Ah the idiots. Materials technology is going to rest for no politician. We are already at the point where three guys with smarts, and a couple hundred grand can get you making high quality biological weapons. It isn't going to stop there.