Sign in to follow this  
deleteme

Delayed nics with permit issued this morning?

Has anyone ever had a problem with nics delay? I purchased an evil ar15 about 7 months ago and had no issue whatsoever.

I applied for a pistol permit, and picked it up at 8:30 am today (12-4-12). I arrived at my gun shop to pick up the pistol I already paid for. They called nics and I was told that my check is delayed.

How could this be and what should I expect? I really don't understand the "delay" status, especially since I was approved for and picked up my permit from the police chief this morning.

Any helpful information would be wonderful!

I always get delayed no matter where i am (NJ,PA,NM,UT) because i am not in the Citizen Registry................but this is kind of a unique situation.

Other reasons and discussion here:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/33519-why-would-nics-take-so-long/

Yes. I was delayed on a recent long gun purchase because the nics system was down, and the recording told my FFL to fax in the info, which takes 3 days to get a reply. In hindsight, I should have waited 1-2 days and re-tryed the purchase then.

Yes. I was delayed on a recent long gun purchase because the nics system was down, and the recording told my FFL to fax in the info, which takes 3 days to get a reply. In hindsight, I should have waited 1-2 days and re-tryed the purchase then.

that is not true, if they are busy, they turns the phones off & the recording is on saying to fax request over. I never call they, I only fax my nics to them. A fax normally takes no longer than a phone call does.

I have heard of first time handgun buyers being delayed from time to time. The store will most likely call you tomorrow to tell you that you are now approved. Buy some ammo :)

What did you get?

just the other day a friend tried to purchase a long gun...his second in a couple months and he got the "delay" just like the first time..only this time the ffl call was bad news...he was told that he got denied..... when he has had no issues a month ago....and had no legal issues in between or in years prior to 1st purchase...so i have to wonder did nics screw up and approve the first purchase when it too should have been a denial...or if the mistake is this time....he tried calling the number given him by ffl...and they wont discuss the situaton on the phone...and want to do everything snail mail...is this how it works?..seems silly